OL2000: Quoting creates line breaks

• Thread starter =?iso-8859-2?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=
  • Start date
?

=?iso-8859-2?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=

When the reply/forward options are set to quoting and prefixing the original message, Outlook will not quote intelligently, but instead will create line breaks. This is regardless of whether the encoding is chosen to be quoted printable or 7-bit hardwrapped. Mozilla Thunderbird is much more competent in this area.

As far as I know, this issue has not been resolved in later versions of Outlook either. Outlook also doesn't support the more recent format=flowed standard, which is supported by Thunderbird, and also Outlook Express 6 SP2, AFAIK.

I think Microsoft should create a knowledge base article on the issue, and preferably fix it in Office 2000 SP-4.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ivan

B

Brian Tillman

Ivan Bútora said:
When the reply/forward options are set to quoting and prefixing the
original message, Outlook will not quote intelligently, but instead
will create line breaks. This is regardless of whether the encoding
is chosen to be quoted printable or 7-bit hardwrapped. Mozilla
Thunderbird is much more competent in this area.

As far as I know, this issue has not been resolved in later versions
of Outlook either. Outlook also doesn't support the more recent
format=flowed standard, which is supported by Thunderbird, and also
Outlook Express 6 SP2, AFAIK.

That's why Outlook-Quotefix and OE-Quotefix were written.

?

=?iso-8859-2?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=

That's why Outlook-Quotefix and OE-Quotefix were written.

I understand that, but that's no excuse for a poor implementation of what should be a very basic and fundamental feature. The "remove line breaks" option in later version of Outlook is no good either, because it removes also legitimate and intended line breaks.

Ask a Question