Offline Files - Hide Sync Errors

G

I have everyone's "My Documents" folder redirected to their privet share on our file server (using Group Policies). I am having two problems

One, if someone has a file in their "My Documents" folder that cannot be used Offline (Access Database for example) an error message is displayed which halts a shutdown or logoff. I would like to find a way to ignore offline files

Two, I would like to find a way to make the "Syncronize Offline Files" progress window start minimized, so that the users not feel like they have to watch a sometimes lenghly sync before they can use the computer.

G

It actually won't halt logoff/shutdown but the timeout is a long time -- it seems like 15 minutes

I did find an undocumented workaround for this very annoying issue
Consult the KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=32013

It shows how you can change syncmgr from displaying warnings/errors/info/etc. The key is to change it to 0 (undocumented). The error will still appear but will disappear within 2 seconds

Now if I can just get those balloons about offline folders from appearing all the time! Documented group policy settings about turning these off don't seem to work

Cheers

Scot

G

Thanks for the update. This feature really doesn’t work very well. There needs to be an option to put errors in the event log only and not display them. There also needs to be an option to start the Synchronizing window minimized so that the user does not stare at it blankly for the first 2 minutes.

Ask a Question