OEM vs Retail Version

Mobius

What are the differences between Windows XP Pro Full Retail version CD and
an OEM CD, contentwise, functionwise, or otherwise?

Just wanted to know this out of academic curiosity.

Thanks.

Mobius

Carey Frisch [MVP]

OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
-- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
-- cannot be transferred to a different computer in the future.
-- only hardware component you cannot change is the motherboard model.
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
-- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support.
-- any problems whatsoever with the installation CD or Product Key.
is not eligible for Microsoft support....you have to deal with the "seller".
-- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations/risks.

Best Advice: Purchase a "Retail Version" of Windows XP!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| What are the differences between Windows XP Pro Full Retail version CD and
| an OEM CD, contentwise, functionwise, or otherwise?
|
| Just wanted to know this out of academic curiosity.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Mobius

Patrick Keenan

Mobius said:
What are the differences between Windows XP Pro Full Retail version CD and
an OEM CD, contentwise, functionwise, or otherwise?

Just wanted to know this out of academic curiosity.

Thanks.

Mobius

Once installed, the functional differences are none.

During installation, the Retail CD can normally handle upgrade installs.
OEM versions, intended for clean installs on new machines (or repair
installs on those machines) won't do that.

As well, OEM CDs may be tied to a specific machine or piece of hardware.
For example, Dell OEM CDs may look for a Dell BIOS identifier and won't
install on non-Dell systems.

Other content varies from provider to provider. A common item to leave off
the Home CD is the backup utility, for example.

And of course there are other licensing and support differences, but they
aren't part of the CD.

HTH
-pk

Ken Blake, MVP

Mobius said:
What are the differences between Windows XP Pro Full Retail version
CD and an OEM CD, contentwise, functionwise, or otherwise?

Assuming that you're talking about a complete genric OEM version, not one
customized by a particular OEM, from a software standpoint, it's identical
to the retail version. The only difference is in the licensing. The OEM
version has the following disadvantages:

1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's installed on.
It can never legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.

2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call them with
a problem, but instead have to get any needed support from your OEM; that
support may range anywhere between good and non-existent. Or you can get
support elsewhere, such as in these newsgroups.

Mobius

Mobius said:
What are the differences between Windows XP Pro Full Retail version CD and
an OEM CD, contentwise, functionwise, or otherwise?

Just wanted to know this out of academic curiosity.

Thanks.

Mobius

Thanks for the very informative and prompt responses.

As Ken Blake pointed out, I was indeed talking about a generic OEM version
(like those sold on eBay, as one example).

It has been educative to know that subtle differences do exist in the
versions - possibly all in the licensing aspect.

One aspect still begs an answer though - who provides support for generic
OEM versions?

Regards and thanks again.

Mobius

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Microsoft does not offer any free support with OEM versions
of Windows XP. If you run into a problem, then post your
inquiry in one of the appropriate Microsoft support newsgroups
for some free advise.

Microsoft Community Newsgroups

or

Windows XP Newsgroups peer-to-peer forums
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

--

:

| Thanks for the very informative and prompt responses.
|
| As Ken Blake pointed out, I was indeed talking about a generic OEM version
| (like those sold on eBay, as one example).
|
| It has been educative to know that subtle differences do exist in the
| versions - possibly all in the licensing aspect.
|
| One aspect still begs an answer though - who provides support for generic
| OEM versions?
|
| Regards and thanks again.
|
| Mobius

Ron Martell

Patrick Keenan said:
Once installed, the functional differences are none.

Not necessarily true. Some OEM versions may be missing some or all of
the following capabilities:
- the ability to run the Windows XP Recovery Console
- the ability to do a Repair Install.
- the ability to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to move
data and settings from a previous computer.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron Martell

Mobius said:
One aspect still begs an answer though - who provides support for generic
OEM versions?

Technically, that is the responsibility of the OEM who sold the OEM
version.

You must be registered as an OEM with Microsoft in order to obtain the
generic OEM version from them so somewhere between Microsoft and the
eBay purchaser that person or company does exist.

Finding them may be another matter.

I sell computers (not many but some) and use the generic OEM versions
with all of them. The OEM who builds my computers does provide
support.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

J&P

Carey Frisch said:
OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation.
-- must be installed "clean" on a freshly reformatted drive or partition.
<Snip>

Carey,

I bought a second-hand PC which had an illegal copy of XP Pro installed on
it. I purchased a new OEM version and installed it using the Repair/Install
method..
If what you say above is correct, how come I didn't have problems? Was I
just lucky?

Regards
Joe Steele

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A "Repair Install" procedure is entirely different than
upgrading to Windows XP over an existing older version
of Windows.

--

:

| Carey,
|
| I bought a second-hand PC which had an illegal copy of XP Pro installed on
| it. I purchased a new OEM version and installed it using the Repair/Install
| method..
| If what you say above is correct, how come I didn't have problems? Was I
| just lucky?
|
| Regards
| Joe Steele

Patrick Keenan

Mobius said:
Thanks for the very informative and prompt responses.

As Ken Blake pointed out, I was indeed talking about a generic OEM version
(like those sold on eBay, as one example).

It has been educative to know that subtle differences do exist in the
versions - possibly all in the licensing aspect.

If you need to do an upgrade, the difference isn't subtle.. the OEM version
will simply not work.
One aspect still begs an answer though - who provides support for generic
OEM versions?

You. Or, whoever you contract with to provide support; but that likely
won't be MS.

HTH
-pk

Ken Blake, MVP

Mobius said:
Thanks for the very informative and prompt responses.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

As Ken Blake pointed out, I was indeed talking about a generic OEM
version (like those sold on eBay, as one example).

It has been educative to know that subtle differences do exist in the
versions - possibly all in the licensing aspect.

One aspect still begs an answer though - who provides support for
generic OEM versions?

The OEM you bought it from. In many cases, that means that nobody proivides
any support.

David Candy

-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
Yes it can - read the eula. It goes with the computer.

Ivan

I will disagree with this: "only hardware component you cannot change is the
motherboard model"...I had to replace a motherboard just two months ago,
installed a different motherboard (Gigabyte to ASUS) and reformated with my
OEM version. Re-activation was required but other than that...no problems.

And I will add to this: "cannot be transferred to a different computer in
the future". This is only valid if the 'different' computer is for someone
else. If you are replacing 'your' computer, its ok.

My 2 bits.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user.
Yes it can - read the eula. It goes with the computer.

Ivan

So, you're saying if my motherboard dies, I have to get a new OS???

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You're wrong twice.

Ivan

Ok, let me get this straight. I buy a computer (custom build) and install
Windows XP OEM. A while later, my motherboard fries because of a bad power
supply or just because its a piece of junk. So, I go an buy a different
brand of motherboard and install it, reformat my computer and re-install
Windows XP OEM. You're telling me I'm doing this against the EULA?

Just checking :)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It depends. But in the circumstance you describe the answer is yes.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you purchased a generic Microsoft OEM Windows XP CD,
installed it, then you can replace the defective motherboard with
a different motherboard, you still use the same Windows XP license.
Only a PC manufacturer's custom version of Windows XP cannot
be used in the event of a motherboard replacement since it often
utilizes a "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP which prevents
installation or activation on a different motherboard.

--

: