Windows XP OEM product key invalid

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if I was hosed or am just missing knowledge. :(

Bought an OEM XP Pro w/COA from eBay a few months ago, figuring I need to have my own version of any OS I'm using on media. It arrived with a shrinkwrapped CD, there is a sticker on the plastic with a product key, I take this magic sticker to be the 'COA', and a booklet.
I haven't had to reinstall (yet!), but recently have Linux (Freespire) up and running, thinking that I would try to play some games under a VM (WIne is still limited to specific apps). When I went to install 'my' copy of XP in the virtual machine, I get the dreaded 'Invalid Key' window of doom.
Is this copy not legal ? As it was some months ago, I don't know what recourse I have at eBay if it isn't!
I know XP is a different world from 98, but am I really so limited that I can't own my operating system? I thought that MS licenced resellers, and made a point of buying something listed as having the COA.
I guess I'll turn the PC off, switch the plug on the floppy drive (the light is on), and then try to use 98SE as my VM instead (I thought that would take less memory anyway, still allow me to play games limited by hardware). VirtualBox isn't as keen on this idea, but since XP is not going on - dammit. Why isn't it?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
First make sure that you typed in the right key , its easy to read the key wrongly .
Quickest way to check if you have an illegal copy of XP is to telephone Microsoft . If the copy is illegal then you can involve the police and you should get your money back from e-bay , pay pal or your credit card .

user.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you bought it from ebay, half of the software on there is more than likely a copy

always buy stuff like this from a genuine and credible retailer

Ask a Question