ODBC IMPORT VS LINK TABLE

rob muzzy

I was able to import a table from SQL through a view called
VTG_REQUIREMENT_BINARY which gives me all the data that i need and I
am able to make changes as long as its on the imported table.

When i try this with a linked table it errors out.

the view has the following code

I have a sql view called VTG_REQUIREMENT_BINARY that looks at a table
called REQUIREMENT_BINARY that has a binary field called BITS

the view has the following code

SELECT "WORKORDER_TYPE",
"WORKORDER_BASE_ID",
"WORKORDER_LOT_ID",
"WORKORDER_SPLIT_ID",
"WORKORDER_SUB_ID",
"OPERATION_SEQ_NO",
"PIECE_NO",
"TYPE",
CASE (UNICODE(CAST(CAST("BITS" AS VARBINARY(4000)) AS NVARCHAR(4000)))
- ASCII(LEFT(CAST("BITS" AS VARBINARY(4000)),
1))) WHEN 0 THEN CAST(CAST("BITS" AS VARBINARY(8000)) AS NVARCHAR
(4000)) ELSE CAST(CAST("BITS" AS VARBINARY(8000)) AS VARCHAR(8000))
END AS "BITS",
"BITS_LENGTH"
FROM REQUIREMENT_BINARY
WHERE "TYPE" = 'D'

how can i get this to write to the view through a linked table

i can send the vba code as well if you anyone can help

Arvin Meyer MVP

First make sure that you can write to the View directly within SQL-Server.
Then make sure that the primary key is in the View when you write back to it
from Access.

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP,
MVPhttp://www.datastrat.comhttp://www.mvps.org/accesshttp://www.accessmvp.com

"rob muzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

The primary keys are there its giving me some issues saying the update
or insert of view or function failed because it contains a derived or
constant field

Sounds like the View itself is not updateable due to the presence of a
calculated control.