Odbc dBase Driver error

Sebastien Lange

Hi,

I have a problem with Odbc and dBase Driver, ONLY on 2 PCs; it works on 40
others.
The error is:
System.Exception: ERROR [HYS12] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] Index not
found.

The sql is:
SELECT inctype FROM [event] WHERE parent='1.0.6' AND value=1

And the connection string is:
"Driver={Microsoft dBase Driver (*.dbf)};DBQ=c:\myDbfPath"

So this has nothing to do with the sql, nor the connection. But it should be
a problem of drivers/installation on theses 2 PCs.
I'd like to correct the problem without reinstalling everything.
Any idea?

Sebastien

PS: I'm using OdbcConnection

Kevin Sun [MS]

Hi Sebastien,

If I understand properly, this type of problem is related to the machine
environment. Typically, we need to reinstall or update the odbc driver.

1. Double-check the location of the ISAM drive as below:

Msxbde40.dll
dBase HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Xbase

Browse to the registry subkey described in the table, and check the path
name against the actual path name.

Correct the path name if it is incorrect; proceed with these steps if it is
correct.

2. Apply MDAC 2.6 SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5f816c-4918-4250-
b8bd-3794582c9089&DisplayLang=en

3. Apply Jet 4.0 SP8
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;239114

4. You can also collect more information by tracing the ODBC as below:

Q274551 - HOWTO: Generate an ODBC Trace w/ ODBC Data Source Administrator
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q274/5/51.asp

Sincerely,

Kevin
Microsoft Support

| From: "Sebastien Lange" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Odbc dBase Driver error
| Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:04:36 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
|
| Hi,
|
| I have a problem with Odbc and dBase Driver, ONLY on 2 PCs; it works on 40
| others.
| The error is:
| System.Exception: ERROR [HYS12] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] Index not
| found.
|
| The sql is:
| SELECT inctype FROM [event] WHERE parent='1.0.6' AND value=1
|
| And the connection string is:
| "Driver={Microsoft dBase Driver (*.dbf)};DBQ=c:\myDbfPath"
|
| So this has nothing to do with the sql, nor the connection. But it should
be
| a problem of drivers/installation on theses 2 PCs.
| I'd like to correct the problem without reinstalling everything.
| Any idea?
|
| Sebastien
|
| PS: I'm using OdbcConnection

Sebastien Lange

Kevin,

Thank you for your answer. I've tried all the solutions, but nothing works.
The logging creates thousands lines in the log, so after 10 minutes it was
still busy with the same sql, so I stopped.

Then I've tried to isolate the problem in a small sample. And I found the
reason why it breaks!
In fact I'm copying the dbf files from a network path into a temp path, to
improve performance.
I was not copying the mdx files (The error was 'Index not found'...), and
that's the reason it breaks!!!! After having copied them also, everything
works fine!
So I don't know why it works on 40 PCs, but not on theses 2 ones!!!
If you have any idea?

Sebastien

Kevin Sun said:
Hi Sebastien,

If I understand properly, this type of problem is related to the machine
environment. Typically, we need to reinstall or update the odbc driver.

1. Double-check the location of the ISAM drive as below:

Msxbde40.dll
dBase HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Xbase

Browse to the registry subkey described in the table, and check the path
name against the actual path name.

Correct the path name if it is incorrect; proceed with these steps if it is
correct.

2. Apply MDAC 2.6 SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5f816c-4918-4250-
b8bd-3794582c9089&DisplayLang=en

3. Apply Jet 4.0 SP8
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;239114

4. You can also collect more information by tracing the ODBC as below:

Q274551 - HOWTO: Generate an ODBC Trace w/ ODBC Data Source Administrator
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q274/5/51.asp

Sincerely,

Kevin
Microsoft Support

| From: "Sebastien Lange" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Odbc dBase Driver error
| Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:04:36 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
|
| Hi,
|
| I have a problem with Odbc and dBase Driver, ONLY on 2 PCs; it works on 40
| others.
| The error is:
| System.Exception: ERROR [HYS12] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] Index not
| found.
|
| The sql is:
| SELECT inctype FROM [event] WHERE parent='1.0.6' AND value=1
|
| And the connection string is:
| "Driver={Microsoft dBase Driver (*.dbf)};DBQ=c:\myDbfPath"
|
| So this has nothing to do with the sql, nor the connection. But it should
be
| a problem of drivers/installation on theses 2 PCs.
| I'd like to correct the problem without reinstalling everything.
| Any idea?
|
| Sebastien
|
| PS: I'm using OdbcConnection

Kevin Sun [MS]

Hi Sebastien,

I am glad to learn that this problem has been figured out. Regarding the
possible reason, I am providing you with the following information:

1. Please check if the client can access the .mdx file on the remote server?

2. Does the client have enough permission to access the network folder,
where the .mdx is?

3. Does the same problem occur when accessing the .dbf and .mdx on the
remote server?

4. What is the client application accessing the dbase?

5. Is the BDE installed on the client machine?

The BDE was looking for an .mdx file because dBase uses .idx and .mdx files
as indeces.

287428.KB.EN-US ACC2002: Error 3015 "Index Not Found" Error Message When
You Try to Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287428

Sincerely,

Kevin
Microsoft Support

| From: "Sebastien Lange" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Odbc dBase Driver error
| Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:05:27 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
|
| Kevin,
|
| Thank you for your answer. I've tried all the solutions, but nothing
works.
| The logging creates thousands lines in the log, so after 10 minutes it was
| still busy with the same sql, so I stopped.
|
| Then I've tried to isolate the problem in a small sample. And I found the
| reason why it breaks!
| In fact I'm copying the dbf files from a network path into a temp path, to
| improve performance.
| I was not copying the mdx files (The error was 'Index not found'...), and
| that's the reason it breaks!!!! After having copied them also, everything
| works fine!
| So I don't know why it works on 40 PCs, but not on theses 2 ones!!!
| If you have any idea?
|
| Sebastien
|
| | > Hi Sebastien,
| >
| > If I understand properly, this type of problem is related to the machine
| > environment. Typically, we need to reinstall or update the odbc driver.
| >
| > 1. Double-check the location of the ISAM drive as below:
| >
| > Msxbde40.dll
| > dBase HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Xbase
| >
| > Browse to the registry subkey described in the table, and check the path
| > name against the actual path name.
| >
| > Correct the path name if it is incorrect; proceed with these steps if it
| is
| > correct.
| >
| > 2. Apply MDAC 2.6 SP2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e5f816c-4918-4250-
| > b8bd-3794582c9089&DisplayLang=en
| >
| > 3. Apply Jet 4.0 SP8
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;239114
| >
| > 4. You can also collect more information by tracing the ODBC as below:
| >
| > Q274551 - HOWTO: Generate an ODBC Trace w/ ODBC Data Source
Administrator
| > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q274/5/51.asp
| >

| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Kevin
| > Microsoft Support

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Sebastien Lange" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Odbc dBase Driver error
| > | Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:04:36 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I have a problem with Odbc and dBase Driver, ONLY on 2 PCs; it works
on
| 40
| > | others.
| > | The error is:
| > | System.Exception: ERROR [HYS12] [Microsoft][ODBC dBase Driver] Index
not
| > | found.
| > |
| > | The sql is:
| > | SELECT inctype FROM [event] WHERE parent='1.0.6' AND value=1
| > |
| > | And the connection string is:
| > | "Driver={Microsoft dBase Driver (*.dbf)};DBQ=c:\myDbfPath"
| > |
| > | So this has nothing to do with the sql, nor the connection. But it
| should
| > be
| > | a problem of drivers/installation on theses 2 PCs.
| > | I'd like to correct the problem without reinstalling everything.
| > | Any idea?
| > |
| > | Sebastien
| > |