OCX registration

brendan

Good Day,
I'm sorta new so please bear with me.

I have an application (Visual Basic 6.0 based) that runs fine on XP
Pro. I'm having problems running it on XPE. It requres 10 OCX files
which I've copied over (not registered not added to my component). The
application doesn't run. I guess that's logical because I haven't yet
registered the OCXs. Is there a quick and easy way to manually register
them in XPE?
It would be nice to build this while in XPE and then implement my steps
using Component Manager and Target Designer rather than jumping back
and forth.

Can I add these files to my component and enable the FBA DLL/COM
Registration resource? Or do I have to create a component for each OCX
, enable the FBA DLL/COM resource for each OCX and link these
components to my application ?
Neither the Cseri book or the Liming Book seem to touch on this.

thanx,
Brendan

John Coyne \(eMVP\)

Hi Brendan,

There's a couple of ways to do it...

You can call a FBA runonce command to manually register ocx controls
manual process documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;146219

you can also programmatically register them within your VB app.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;146219

You can author your component such that at FBA it will go register them
for you as well... (like the programmatic method) you could just include
the exe as a file in the component, then set it's phase to run at FBA...

There are some good posts in the google archive that have discussed
these types of things before too. More detail as well :)

HTH,
John Coyne (eMVP)
Arrow OCS.