OCR but with a graphic?

fitwell

I searched the archives as per normal. SOS has recommended in the
past CopyText and that works sometimes. It's a screen capture program
with OCR capabilities.

But I find that that doesn't always work. What would be even better
is an OCR program -- that _doesn't_ need a scanner, of course -- that
allows one to just load a graphic in the most common formats (i.e.,
gif, jpg, bmp, at least) and that can pull as much text from the
graphic as possible.

Is there such a thing? The archives revealed scanner programs and
CopyText but nothing that does the above. TIA. :blush:D

Arne Anka

I alt.comp.freeware, sa fitwell utan att tänka först:
But I find that that doesn't always work. What would be even better
is an OCR program -- that _doesn't_ need a scanner, of course -- that
allows one to just load a graphic in the most common formats (i.e.,
gif, jpg, bmp, at least) and that can pull as much text from the
graphic as possible.

ABBYY FineReader v.4 (registerware) can do this

Check out the threads:
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt....c7506/e658cf9a76db62d4?hl=en#e658cf9a76db62d4>

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt....ece57/b63bf61f8c888316?hl=en#b63bf61f8c888316>

--
Arne Anka

Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

<http://starcruiser.dk/agren>

socrtwo

fitwell said:
I searched the archives as per normal. SOS has recommended in the
past CopyText and that works sometimes. It's a screen capture program
with OCR capabilities.

But I find that that doesn't always work. What would be even better
is an OCR program -- that _doesn't_ need a scanner, of course -- that
allows one to just load a graphic in the most common formats (i.e.,
gif, jpg, bmp, at least) and that can pull as much text from the
graphic as possible.

Is there such a thing? The archives revealed scanner programs and
CopyText but nothing that does the above. TIA. :blush:D

DocMorph (http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/docmorph.htm) is an
online US government tax dollar funded service that does this for free.

{For the purests the pricelesswarehome.org site has a page listing free
webware, so doesn't that make webware officially discussable in this
forum? - http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Webware.php)

Susan Bugher

socrtwo said:
{For the purests the pricelesswarehome.org site has a page listing free
webware, so doesn't that make webware officially discussable in this
forum? - http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Webware.php)

As a purist I protest that way you worded that. ;) The Pricelessware
site lists Webware *because* ACF newsgroup participants consider it a
fit topic for discussion. If the consensus of the group changes the web
site will change. . . IOW the tail does not wag the dog. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

socrtwo

Susan said:
As a purist I protest that way you worded that. ;) The Pricelessware
site lists Webware *because* ACF newsgroup participants consider it a
fit topic for discussion. If the consensus of the group changes the web
site will change. . . IOW the tail does not wag the dog. . .

Sounds good. Hope the consensus doesn't change because I like webware
and discussion here seems to help people. At least that's what I'm
telling myself when I post a webware solution.