Obtain a MAC address from a connected socket

Jeronimo Bertran

Hello,

We have developed a socket tcpip server in .net that accepts calls from
clients. Using the connected socket we are able to use the
Socket.RemoteEndPoint to obtain the IP address of the client. Is there any
way to obtain the MAC address for the client?

Thanks

Jeronimo

Emmet Gray

Hello,

We have developed a socket tcpip server in .net that accepts calls from
clients. Using the connected socket we are able to use the
Socket.RemoteEndPoint to obtain the IP address of the client. Is there any
way to obtain the MAC address for the client?

Thanks

Jeronimo

That's not really practical... The only tools that can query the MAC
address work within a subnet (because a remote IP would resolve to the
router's MAC)

Jim Hughes

We have developed a socket tcpip server in .net that accepts calls from
clients. Using the connected socket we are able to use the
Socket.RemoteEndPoint to obtain the IP address of the client. Is there
any
way to obtain the MAC address for the client?

The client MAY not even have a MAC address, they could be using a protocol
like SLIP or PPP.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jeronimo,

As Emmet and Jim has mentioned, the clientside could have discretionary
sub net structure and MAC address only make sense for the clientside's
local network area. In fact, the subnet is just used for local network area
and is not visible to the external network. If your application's client
side are all in the same local network environment, that'll make some sense.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Jim Hughes" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Obtain a MAC address from a connected socket
| Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 18:10:11 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general

| |
| > We have developed a socket tcpip server in .net that accepts calls from
| > clients. Using the connected socket we are able to use the
| > Socket.RemoteEndPoint to obtain the IP address of the client. Is there
| > any
| > way to obtain the MAC address for the client?
|
| The client MAY not even have a MAC address, they could be using a
protocol
| like SLIP or PPP.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Jeronimo,

If there're any further things we can help, please feel free to post here.

Regards,