Numbering Rows Sequentially

G

When I number rows 1-5 for example, enter data, then later decide that I need to insert a row and data, Does Excel have a feature like Word that automatically numbers the newly inserted row and "renumbers" the rows beneath it?

R

Ron de Bruin

Hi Pamela

You can use this in the cells in the first column

=ROW()

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

Pamela said:
When I number rows 1-5 for example, enter data, then later decide that I need to insert a row and data, Does Excel have a
feature like Word that automatically numbers the newly inserted row and "renumbers" the rows beneath it?

G

guilbj2

Yes, and you don't have to activate it. Just right click on the ro
numbers on the left and select insert. Excel will add a row above th
one you've selected (if you right click and select insert on row 2, i
will become row 3 and a blank row will appear above it). In additio
to this, Excel will automatically update any formulas to properl
calculate the variables in their new positions

G

I copied what I'm talking about. Ron, I used your method. I started by putting these #s 10-120 in column A. I clicked in the row that was originally numbered 40, notice the numbering is 30, skips 40, then 50. It accounted for the number (40), changed the numbers below it correctly, but did not put the 40 it in the column

I'm open to suggestions

----- Ron de Bruin wrote: ----

Hi Pamel

You can use this in the cells in the first colum

=ROW(

--
Regards Ron de Brui
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003
www.rondebruin.n

Pamela said:
When I number rows 1-5 for example, enter data, then later decide that I need to insert a row and data, Does Excel have
feature like Word that automatically numbers the newly inserted row and "renumbers" the rows beneath it

R

Ron de Bruin

Hi Pamela

You must use a macro to insert a row and copy the formula with it
Or use this free Dataform from John Walkenbach
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

Pamela said:
I copied what I'm talking about. Ron, I used your method. I started by putting these #s 10-120 in column A. I clicked in the
row that was originally numbered 40, notice the numbering is 30, skips 40, then 50. It accounted for the number (40), changed
the numbers below it correctly, but did not put the 40 it in the column.

Ask a Question