$NTUninstall Folders

M

MikeA

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. Under the Windows folder there are many $NTUninstall subfolders. I
know that these are for backing out patches. I probably have about 50 or so of them. I do not know
how much disk space they use up but I am starting to get under 1 GB on the C: drive. I like to keep
above 1 GB on the system (C:) drive in case of installs, new patches, and so on.

My question is this: At what point can I start to delete these subfolders? I have not yet
uninstalled a fix/patch. However, to be on the safe side I'd like to keep some. Is there a rule of
thumb how far back date-wise is okay to delete? Or is there some other measurement that can be used
to delete the no longer needed subfolders?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi Mike,

There's no hard and fast rule, but I usually give any new update around 30
days before removing the backup folder.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

P

peter

If you are not having nay problems with the patches then by all means
uninstall those folders....I usually clean mine out about 2 weeks after the
update if I have no problems.
peter

U

Unk

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. Under the Windows folder there are many $NTUninstall subfolders. I
know that these are for backing out patches. I probably have about 50 or so of them. I do not know
how much disk space they use up but I am starting to get under 1 GB on the C: drive. I like to keep
above 1 GB on the system (C:) drive in case of installs, new patches, and so on.

My question is this: At what point can I start to delete these subfolders? I have not yet
uninstalled a fix/patch. However, to be on the safe side I'd like to keep some. Is there a rule of
thumb how far back date-wise is okay to delete? Or is there some other measurement that can be used

Thank you for your help.

Mike
Safe to Delete:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Do not delete the "C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$" folder. It's integral for when new updates are applied
making sure things are consistent with previously applied updates and patches.
Description of the contents of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003 software update
packages http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824994

Remove Hotfix Backup Files
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

O

Opinicus

My question is this: At what point can I start to delete these
subfolders? I have not yet
uninstalled a fix/patch. However, to be on the safe side I'd like to keep
some. Is there a rule of
thumb how far back date-wise is okay to delete? Or is there some other
measurement that can be used

I give them about week or so. If there's no obvious problem, then they get
deleted the next Sunday when I do my regular system backup and maintenance.

YMMV.

Ask a Question