J

Jay

What is the appropriate NTFS permission that we should
configure for a user if we dont want them to delete
files/'folders but do want them to create files and
folders. Thanks in advance.

S

Steven L Umbach

A user needs read/list/execute/write to create files and folders. To delete they also
need modify or full permissions. Keep in mind that a user who writes files to a
folder may also receive the permissions for the creator/owner group which may exceed
the regular permissions assigned to a user unless you change permissions for that
group though a user who is the owner of a file/folder can change permissions if they
know how. --- Steve

J

Jay

I have given users those permission with no modify but we
get a read only error from word.

-----Original Message-----
A user needs read/list/execute/write to create files and folders. To delete they also
need modify or full permissions. Keep in mind that a user who writes files to a
folder may also receive the permissions for the
creator/owner group which may exceed

S

Steven L Umbach

Word uses temporary files to increase performance and for some backup protection I
believe and I think that is why you are experiencing what you are. From my experience
a user needs modify permissions on their My Documents folder to be able to save Word
docs. I am not sure what the work around is to keep a user from not having modify
permissions to a folder where they save their Word docs. You may want to post in one
of the Word/Office newsgroups for more info. If for some reason you are using a
common folder for multiple users, you can add the creator/owner with modify
permissions which should allow users to save and delete only files they create based
on ownership if they have only read/list/execute permissions otherwise. --- Steve

Ask a Question