From: Backup on W2KServer
User: Administrator
Subject: **Administrator Alert**

Add "4mm DDS" to the free media pool, or to media pool
"\Backup\4mm DDS"

Like I said it had been working for months and then this happened. We
can’t recollect making any changes to anything on the Server before
this happened. If anyone can point me in the right direction or tell
me what it means then I’d be truly grateful.

Regards,
Ash.

ashbyhope

Ashish Chetal MSFT said:
Hi
Have a look at this KB article

The Ntbackup.exe Tool Stops Responding When You Use the /t
Parameter with a
Scheduled Backup Job

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306110

Regards,

It’s sorted and believe me I almost cried when I realised the problem.

After trawling through logs, literature, websites and then spending a
couple of hours doing tests it finally happened. I decided to do the
full backup and sit there and watch. Almost 2 hours later it came up
with a meaningful message that almost led me to head butt the wall. IT
HAD RUN OUT OF SPACE ON THE TAPE! Seeing as the person I replaced had
originally set this all up we assumed the tapes were 20/40. Infact,
they were only 4/8! It’s mad really, spent hours trying to work it out
and in the end it was the simplest of things and something I had
thought it was originally. But when told that they’re 20/40 I ruled
that out. If only I’d checked then!

Still, you have to ask the question, why did W2K give a more
meaningful message rather than telling you to add to the media pool.
If it had said, the backup failed as you ran out of space then fair
do, sorted. Also, there was nothing of real use in the Event Viewer.
If the error message that said it was full was in there then again I
would have saved time and effort trying to sort it.

MADNESS!

Regards,
Ash.