NT4 Domain upgrade to Windows 2000 AD

Michael

1 NT4 PDC + 1 NT4 BDC (with DHCP,WINS) + Windows XP
clients, using ISP DNS IP for clients accessing Internet,
domain name ABC.
When upgrade PDC to AD, created DNS server with domain
name EFG.ORG (it's my company's real internet domain name)
when building AD. then upgraded BDC to join the AD
successfully.

Now clients using 2 DNS IP, the first is ISP DNS IP, the
second is internal DNS server's IP, and problems come:
1. when clients logon to old domain ABC, the logon process
very slow and the subsequent logons are the same. It looks
like contacting Windows 2000 DC but not success. what
should I do on XP clients to finish the NT4 to Windows
2000 upgrading? How can I accelerate the logon process?
2. XP clients cannot (sometimes) access my company's
website "www.EFG.ORG", I added HOST entry then it's OK,
but this is not I want. What's the DNS the setting should
I do?

Thanks for your help.
Michael

Simon Geary

Completely remove all traces of the ISP DNS server from your clients and
servers. The only IP address defined in IP properties must be the IP of your
local DNS server.

On your local DNS server configure a forwarder in the DNS console that
points to the ISP address.

Create an A (host) record of www in the efg.org zone of your local DNS
server that resolves to the sites external IP address. (I'm not sure if you
meant you had already done this or you were using the local hosts file on
each PC). There is no way around this when using the same DNS name
internally and externally.

Michael

Great, Thanks Simon!
Completely remove all traces of the ISP DNS server from your clients and
servers. The only IP address defined in IP properties must be the IP of your
local DNS server.

On your local DNS server configure a forwarder in the DNS console that
points to the ISP address.

Create an A (host) record of www in the efg.org zone of your local DNS
server that resolves to the sites external IP address. (I'm not sure if you
meant you had already done this or you were using the local hosts file on
each PC). There is no way around this when using the same DNS name
internally and externally.

.

David Pharr [MSFT]

Dns is the backbone of Windows 2000 and your dns is not configured
correctly.

Client workstations should only point to internal dns servers, not your
ISP. The dns server should also only point to internal dns servers in its
own tcpip properties, and to access the Internet your ISP addresses should
be included on the Forwarders tab in dns (in dns manager, right-click on
the dns server's name, choose properties, click on the Forwarders tab,
check the box to enable forwarders and add your ISP addresses here).

237675 Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=237675

291382 Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

In addition, your internal dns name should not be the same as your external
dns namespace.

254680 DNS Namespace Planning
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254680

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: "Michael" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Michael" <[email protected]>
| Subject: NT4 Domain upgrade to Windows 2000 AD
| Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:47:53 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| 1 NT4 PDC + 1 NT4 BDC (with DHCP,WINS) + Windows XP
| clients, using ISP DNS IP for clients accessing Internet,
| domain name ABC.
| When upgrade PDC to AD, created DNS server with domain
| name EFG.ORG (it's my company's real internet domain name)
| when building AD. then upgraded BDC to join the AD
| successfully.
|
| Now clients using 2 DNS IP, the first is ISP DNS IP, the
| second is internal DNS server's IP, and problems come:
| 1. when clients logon to old domain ABC, the logon process
| very slow and the subsequent logons are the same. It looks
| like contacting Windows 2000 DC but not success. what
| should I do on XP clients to finish the NT4 to Windows
| 2000 upgrading? How can I accelerate the logon process?
| 2. XP clients cannot (sometimes) access my company's
| website "www.EFG.ORG", I added HOST entry then it's OK,
| but this is not I want. What's the DNS the setting should
| I do?
|
| Thanks for your help.
| Michael

Simon Geary

In addition, your internal dns name should not be the same as your external
dns namespace.

254680 DNS Namespace Planning
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254680

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Apart from having to manually create
external resource records on your internal zones I have never come across
any big problems with split brain DNS.