NT Backup and volume shadow copy error 80042306

Leslie Anne

Hi Newsgroup Participants,

I'm using NTBackup (version delivered with Windows XP Home Edition
2002, German) to backup my system state data.
In every event log so far, there is the following statement:
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy: 80042306.
This is followed by the statement: The backup without transfer will be
used again (my translation of "Die Sicherung ohne Übertragung wird
wieder verwendet." )
What is this error 80042306? How can I remove it? Are my previous
system state backups defective?

Regards
Leslie

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi,

This NTBackup error was caused by the VSS infrastructure (the Volume
Shadow Copy service). To see what happened, can you look to the
Application event log for any VSS errors? If there are any, can you
cut & paste the event log details for these errors?

Usually, this specific error code (80042306) appears when you try to
backup a machine that does not have any NTFS volumes. VSS requires at
least one NTFS volume to be present on your machine (it can be any
volume, it just needs to be visible to the system at the point of
backup).

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Leslie Anne

Adi Oltean said:
"Leslie Anne" <[email protected]>'s message
Hi,

This NTBackup error was caused by the VSS infrastructure (the Volume
Shadow Copy service). To see what happened, can you look to the
Application event log for any VSS errors? If there are any, can you
cut & paste the event log details for these errors?

Usually, this specific error code (80042306) appears when you try to
backup a machine that does not have any NTFS volumes. VSS requires at
least one NTFS volume to be present on your machine (it can be any
volume, it just needs to be visible to the system at the point of
backup).

Thanks, Adi
Hi Adi,

The only error recorded in the Application event log was the 80042306.
The automatic check which was also logged did not have any error
messages, either.
Difference in Folders and files = 0.
There are no NTFS volumes on my machine. File system is FAT 32.

Are my previous backups okay? How can I get rid of the error message?

Regards
Leslie

Leslie Anne

Adi Oltean said:
Hi,

This NTBackup error was caused by the VSS infrastructure (the Volume
Shadow Copy service). To see what happened, can you look to the
Application event log for any VSS errors? If there are any, can you
cut & paste the event log details for these errors?
[...]
Thanks, Adi

Hi again, Adi,

in my message just sent, my answer assumed that, by "Application event
log", you mean the log that NTBackup creates.
I hope that's correct.

Regards
Leslie

Leslie Anne

"Adi Oltean [MSFT]" <[email protected]> answered in
Leslie Anne said:
Hi,

This NTBackup error was caused by the VSS infrastructure (the Volume
Shadow Copy service). To see what happened, can you look to the
Application event log for any VSS errors? If there are any, can you
cut & paste the event log details for these errors?
Usually, this specific error code (80042306) appears when you try to
backup a machine that does not have any NTFS volumes. VSS requires at
least one NTFS volume to be present on your machine (it can be any
volume, it just needs to be visible to the system at the point of
backup).
Thanks, Adi
----------------------
Hi Adi,

You were right about the VSS error. I've in the meantime discovered the
event viewer and the event log and am pasting an excerpt of the VSS
error at the end of this message for information purposes.

As I don't have any NTFS volumes, does this mean that my previous
system state backups are defective? The event log states that the
backup as well as the backup check was successfully completed. I'm
concerned that the system state backup went through the motions
correctly but that there still may be a content problem.
This info would help me in deciding about what backup strategy is the
best in the future. Namely:
- Can I continue making system state backups as before and just ignore
the error return?
- Should I risk converting my file system to NTFS, for example with
convert.exe?
- Should I risk creating a new drive/partition, for example with Disk
Management, and making it the NTFS volume (my hard drive is not
partitioned)?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Leslie

EXCERPT from Application event log:

Ereignistyp: Fehler
Ereignisquelle: VSS
Ereigniskategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 4001
[...]
Beschreibung:
Volumeschattenkopie-Dienstfehler: Vergleichsbereiche können zum
Erstellen von Schattenkopien nicht gefunden werden. Fügen Sie
mindestens ein NTFS-Laufwerk mit ausreichend Speicherplatz dem System
hinzu. Es sind mindestens 100 MB freier Speicherplatz pro
Volumesicherung bzw. -schattenkopie erforderlich.

My translation of the "Beschreibung"-content:
Volume shadow copy service error: comparison areas for creating shadow
copies could not be found. Add to the system at least 1 NTFS-drive with
enough storage space. At least 100 MB free storage space is needed for
each volume backup or volume shadow copy.

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi Leslie,
ignore the error return?

By default, NTBackup tries to use the VSS infrastructure to create a
shadow copy of your disk drives. This will allow NTBackup to access
open files on your system. VSS is a new tecnology introduced in
Windows XP that allows backing-up a consistent image of all the files
in the system (including open files).

Now, if VSS fails to create a shadow copy (as in your case below),
NTBackup will still ty to produce a consistent backup without a shadow
copy, by reading directly from the disk. While this might be OK in 99%
of cases, note that some files might be skipped during backup - you
should see a list of skipped files during backup if you choose to get
a detalied backup report. This is exactly how NTBackup worked in older
versions of Windows (like Windows 2000). So, as long as NTBackup
displays the message "backing up with non-shadow copy mode" (or
whatever is the equivalent in German), NTBackup should continue to
succesfully backup your system in this mode.

Regarding your question whether the backup tapes are containing the
right data, this really depends on what files were backed up on tape
(since some files might be skipped as mentioned above). First thing to
double-ckeck is the list of files contained in your backup. Second,
you might want to do some tests and try to restore this backup on a
separate test machine, just to ensure that the backup worked
correctly.

Disk Management, and making it the NTFS volume (my hard drive is not
partitioned)?

Adding a new, clean NTFS partition/volume in your system (with at
least 150-200 MB free space) would be the simplest solution to your
problem. This is a very low-risk operation, assuming you don't change
the partition/volume configuration for your existing partitions and
volumes.
convert.exe?

Using convert.exe (to convert your drive from FAT to NTFS) is also a
possible solution. This is also a low-risk operation, although note
that this conversion is one-way only, and it migth be best to perform
a full backup of your system before the conversion. Note also, that
FAT/FAT32 disk drives are actually required by some older versions of
Windows (Windows 95/98/Me) so if you have a dual-boot machine, you
won't see this disk from Windows 98, for example.

Please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314097
for more details on convert.exe on Windows XP.

Leslie Anne said:
[...]

I did a full backup (not just the system state backup), and a large
number of files were skipped (which was not the case with the system
state backup): lots of symantec .log files and TIF-.index.dat files.
Do you agree that these are unimportant for the full backup?

NTBackup also skipped some system32\config\*.Evt files. Are these
important for a restore?

Deciding whether or not I should add a new partition or convert the
present file system to NTFS is more difficult. I have a 37-GB hard
drive which is just 1 partition (only "C") and FAT32-formatted. Even
though I still have 29GB free, it's all allocated, so I can't use Disk
Management to create a new partition.

I don't want to dash out and buy some top name partitioning software.
(I admit it: I did dash out right before New Year's Eve, but the
software that was gonna save me was sold out). I'd rather like to break
my head (German: "ich zerbreche mir lieber den Kopf") trying to
understand and apply available freeware. What's the word out there on
fips http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/fips.html
oder Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/ for Windows
XP and the constellation I mentioned above? Do you have any other
suggestions along this line?

At the moment, I would much rather repartition my hard drive than
remain with 1 partition and convert its file system to NTFS.

Looking forward to your response,
Leslie
---------