Not enough free space..


D

Doug Boufford

XP Pro SP2 on Toshiba A70 laptop. HDD has 15 GB free.
External USB HDD (Maxtor 80GB) has 70GB free

Trying to copy\move a 4.6 GB file from laptop to external HDD & keep
receiving the (infamous) message
"Cannot copy *.*. There is not enough free space available on....."

Obviously there is loads of free spoace on both drives. I've re-booted &
same message. NAV shows no viruses.........

Any hints would be welcome.
TIA
Doug
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

Doug said:
XP Pro SP2 on Toshiba A70 laptop. HDD has 15 GB free.
External USB HDD (Maxtor 80GB) has 70GB free

Trying to copy\move a 4.6 GB file from laptop to external HDD & keep
receiving the (infamous) message
"Cannot copy *.*. There is not enough free space available on....."

Obviously there is loads of free spoace on both drives. I've re-booted &
same message. NAV shows no viruses.........

Any hints would be welcome.
TIA
Doug
The external drive is probably formated with FAT32. That has a single
file limit of just under 4GB. You need to convert that one to NTFS.
 
A

Alex Nichol

Doug said:
XP Pro SP2 on Toshiba A70 laptop. HDD has 15 GB free.
External USB HDD (Maxtor 80GB) has 70GB free

Trying to copy\move a 4.6 GB file from laptop to external HDD & keep
receiving the (infamous) message
"Cannot copy *.*. There is not enough free space available on....."
The USB drive is quite likely to have been formatted in FAT 32. This
has an absolute upper limit of 4GB (less a few bytes) for any file
 
D

Doug Boufford

Alex said:
Doug Boufford wrote:




The USB drive is quite likely to have been formatted in FAT 32. This
has an absolute upper limit of 4GB (less a few bytes) for any file
Alex
That was the prob. If I format the USB HDD as NFTS, will there be any
problems moving\copying files from there to a machine running WIN 98SE
and therefore, FAT32?
Thanks
Doug
 
T

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Doug said:
That was the prob. If I format the USB HDD as NFTS, will
there be any problems moving\copying files from there to
a machine running WIN 98SE and therefore, FAT32?
Hi

A Win98 computer will not be able to access a NTFS formatted
drive...
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

Doug said:
Alex
That was the prob. If I format the USB HDD as NFTS, will there be any
problems moving\copying files from there to a machine running WIN 98SE
and therefore, FAT32?
Thanks
Doug
Partition the external drive to at least two volumes. Make one FAT32
and the other NTFS.
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alex Nichol

Doug said:
That was the prob. If I format the USB HDD as NFTS, will there be any
problems moving\copying files from there to a machine running WIN 98SE
and therefore, FAT32?
Yes. Win98 does not handle NTFS. But you should be able to
FDISK/Format it to a big FAT 32 in Win98, which XP will be able to use
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

"There is not enough free disk space" 2
not enough free space on the hard drive 5
Not enough space? 8
not enough disk space 3
Printing: "not enough space" 1
not enough drive space 4
free space 2
Free Space 5

Top