Not Allowed to runas

bxb7668

To do my job I often need to open command prompt windows as a
different userid. Before upgrading to Windows XP I'd type in Start |
Run the command
runas /user:nw\userid cmd

and it would open the command prompt window. Now that I've been
upgraded to Win XP, when I try this I get the error:

C:\Documents and Settings\brian\>runas /user:nw\userid cmd
Enter the password for nw\userid:
Attempting to start cmd as user "nw\userid" ...
RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - cmd
1327: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are
blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy
restriction has been enforced.

How do I disable this policy to do my job? I do have Administrator
privilege on this PC. Logging off and back on as the other userid is
not an acceptable solution. Wastes far too much time and company
money.

Brian Bygland

bxb7668

Good thought. Unfortunately the account does have a password. I had a
thought that I haven't logged onto that account since Win XP was
installed on this laptop. Unfortunately I cannot try that until I'm
back at the office. My company doesn't allow new logon's over VPN. I
have to be connected directly to the company network.

Brian

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Set a password as the message says.

bxb7668

The Answer: There is another condition that gives this error message.
If you are trying to use runas with a userid that has an expired
password, you get the same message. It would be nice if it told you
that you need to change the password, but it doesn't. Oh well.

Brian

David Candy

Doesn't by design. So you can't get windows to tell you when you've guessed a username or password correctly.