Not able to toggle between two monitors (Fn +F4 not working)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to toggle the display of my laptop between two screens but it not working.

At present the external monitor mirrors the contents of the laptop screen. However, when I press the Fn+F4 combination to toggle the display, the external monitor just blinks, the laptop gives out a beep and display stays with the laptop screen.

I tried updating the graphics card driver but that creates some conflict and my machine does not boot up. I had to go back to a past restore point.

System: Compaq EVO N600c, Windows XP, SP2, professional, Display card driver – ATI Mobility Radoeon 9600 series.

Thanks,

MG.

Reaction score
I fixed the problem by going through the following steps. A corrupt display driver was the problem.

1. Uninstall the display driver. First note down the driver details. ( right click on desktop -> properties-> settings-> Advanced -> Adapter ->properties -> driver ->Uninstall )

2. Restart the computer. At this time the computer uses a generic display driver.

3. Install the orignal driver and restart the computer. The new driver is detected automatically.

Now I am able to switch between monitors using the Fn +F4 combination.

Alternate solution
I came across this problem accidently. Earlier I used to be able to toggle between the monitors using the Fn+F4 combination.
One approach I tried was to fall back to a past system restore point. I selected a two-days old system restore point, and I was able to use my external monitor in the mirror mode (dual mode). However the Fn +F4 combination was still not working.
Start -> all programs -> Accessories -> system tools -> System restore.

MG.

Ask a Question