Norton Pop-ups

Bud

Recently there are pop-ups warning that I'm not protected, even while the
anti-virus and firewall are still loading. Without dwelling on my choice of
AV and Firewall, ;-) does anyone have a quick way to stop these repeating
warnings before I try to dig through Symantec to see if I can find a method?
TIA.

Bud

Victek

Recently there are pop-ups warning that I'm not protected, even while the
anti-virus and firewall are still loading. Without dwelling on my choice
of AV and Firewall, ;-) does anyone have a quick way to stop these
repeating warnings before I try to dig through Symantec to see if I can
find a method? TIA.

On the version of NIS that I'm familiar with there's an option to enable
protection during boot up. See if you have that option and if it's enabled.

Bud

Victek said:
On the version of NIS that I'm familiar with there's an option to enable
protection during boot up. See if you have that option and if it's
enabled.

It is and does load but the warning still #@!&% pops up. ;-)

Bud

pcbutts1

You are being vague. What is the exact message? does it ask you to click
here to fix it? Is it a Norton message or some other message? What version
of windows? be more specific.

Victek

Recently there are pop-ups warning that I'm not protected, even while
It is and does load but the warning still #@!&% pops up. ;-)

I'm guessing it's the Windows security center that is warning you. If
that's the case it's just an annoying timing issue. The way to stop it is
to go into the security center (control panel) and click on "change the way
Windows alerts you" (or words to that effect).

Robert Moir

Bud said:
It is and does load but the warning still #@!&% pops up. ;-)

*what* #@!&% message would that be *exactly*? The more precise you are the
easier it is for people to give you the help you're after.

Is the message box from NAV/NIS/WHATEVER ITS CALLED THIS WEEK? From Windows?
Is there a corresponding entry in the Windows Event logs under Application
or System? Is there an error shown in the Windows Security Centre? Could
your subscription to NAV updates have ran out?

Bud

I'm guessing it's the Windows security center that is warning you. If
that's the case it's just an annoying timing issue. The way to stop it
is to go into the security center (control panel) and click on "change
the way Windows alerts you" (or words to that effect).

No, those have been changed long ago but thanks.

Bud

Victek

I'm guessing it's the Windows security center that is warning you. If
No, those have been changed long ago but thanks.

Can you tell what application is generating the warnings? If it's not
Windows then some other security conscious application is monitoring your
system.

Bud

Bud said:
Recently there are pop-ups warning...

I just found in my 'Control Panel' in the 'Add or Remove Programs' the item
"Norton WMI Update" which is apparently Symantec's 'Norton Windows
Management Instrumentation' that has the same icon as the warning pop-up. I
will delete it and see what happens. It's probably Symantec's attempt to
co-ordinate Windows security warnings with Norton. I'll let you know what
happens. ;-)

Bud

VicTek

I just found in my 'Control Panel' in the 'Add or Remove Programs' the
item "Norton WMI Update" which is apparently Symantec's 'Norton Windows
Management Instrumentation' that has the same icon as the warning pop-up.
I will delete it and see what happens. It's probably Symantec's attempt to
co-ordinate Windows security warnings with Norton. I'll let you know what
happens. ;-)

In the version of NIS I ran there was an option to "Show Messages From
Windows Security Center" and it mentioned duplicate alerts.