No WIndows XP Home Edition CD.

TENPOUNDCAKE

I just bought a brand new Sony Vaio computer that already
has Windows XP Home Edition installed i wanted to backup
a few files but the problem is that my computer doesn't
have the XP CD so i can't run the backup wizard. Is there
anywat i can get the CD without purchasing XP Home
Edition??

peter

have you tried contacting Sony?? who sold you a license to use XP but did not
give you the full version or a copy??
Did they at least give you a recovery CD??
Back up programs can be located quite easily on the web..........free ones too
try download.com
peter

PattyL

Check your documentation. You probably have a utility that allows you to
create CDs for restoring your system, installing drivers, etc.

Most OEMs install the Backup utility. Did you check under Start, All
Programs, Accessories, System Tools?

PattyL

Don

Sorry to tell you that I also had this experience with a
Sony VAIO about a year ago; there is NO CD; NO
Documentation; No Backup Utility in Accessories; and
the "support" personnel either donot understand English
or simply don't care or try to help. Unfortunately, some
of my acquaintances have had similar problems with
Toshiba and other vendors. These companies are simply
taking your money and providing nothing; and there is no
place to get much help unless you are a full-time
computer geek.

NoNoBadDog!

Both Toshiba and Sony have restore partitions. Toshiba has the necessary
software to make a Restore CD set from the restore Partition. Sony is the
only ones that leave their customers holding the bag. The most common
complaint that I hear from those who own them is that their customer support
sucks.

Bobby

Graham Haslam

Hi all,
it is not only Sony?
I bought a Packard Bell system a month ago, no CD,
no recovery disk, no boot disk, I contacted Packard Bell support,
They replied, we do not supply any disks, all recovery data is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive, plus if I wanted to create
my own XP cd it would take ten cd's,
which in turn would wipe the info off my pc,
leaving a 7/8 gig blank partition on the hard drive!?
I have already had expert advice from this news group on
creating a boot disk, and no doubt I will need more in the future.
Regards
Graham

...D.

Hi all,
it is not only Sony?
I bought a Packard Bell system a month ago, no CD,
no recovery disk, no boot disk, I contacted Packard Bell support,
They replied, we do not supply any disks, all recovery data is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive, plus if I wanted to create
my own XP cd it would take ten cd's,
which in turn would wipe the info off my pc,
leaving a 7/8 gig blank partition on the hard drive!?
I have already had expert advice from this news group on
creating a boot disk, and no doubt I will need more in the future.
Regards >Graham

Well I'll say it.. "Packard bell SUCKs for not giving out recovery CDs".
I do not see how it could take up 10 CDs.. I have an eMachines that has 3
recovery CDs.. 10 CDs... PB must have a bundle of software that is out of
this world... Even if 10 CDs, what is their hang-up? Give out 10 CDs
then...

Thanks for the heads up. Avoid PB like the plague. I finally got a name
to a company that doesn't supply recovery CDs with their computers.. I've
heard people say they never got recovery CDs, but I thought it was by some
fly-by-night private company...

...D.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with. Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know
computers can help you. Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).

Mike H

You will find a rundown of software that PB supply on this website..

http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/node1611.asp

I think you will also find that few major manufacturers supply recovery cds
anymore, so you can add more names to your list.. in fairness to the
manufacturers, most home users don't care if they have cds or not UNTIL they
have a problem.. even those who have paid $300 for software seem to lose
them or the case supplied that had the install code sticker attached..
manuals are treated with the same care..

One assumes that those who take the time to create recovery cds will realize
their importance and take care not to misplace them.. by putting hidden
recovery partitions on the HDD, at least the user is still in possession of
recovery software..

Joan Archer

It's the same with Compaq, mine didn't come with anything and you had to
make your own CD's from a hidden partition and this took 6 CD's. I was
lucky as I had my own retail copy of XPHome so I just formatted the drive
and installed that, that way I didn't have all the crap that Compaq
installed <g>
Joan

Graham Haslam

Hi Mike,
thanks for your reply, my only concern really is that most advice
on backing up ones pc usually mentions installing XP Home's backup utility
from cd?
Apart from that, (which don't half confuse me) I am quite pleased with PB.
regards
Graham

Mike H

The essence of 'backing up' is to have saved copies of important user
generated files.. in this way, the backup utility is not needed.. it is as
easy to save any files that you have created, pictures and whatever to a cd
these days using a CDRW and associated software.. use re-writable cds for
this.. mail and the address book can be exported to files that can be
imported back in the event that the system fails and needs re-installing..
it would be beneficial to read about the re-installation process that is
required should your system fail.. print it out if you do not have a manual
and keep it safe..

Re. PB, they offer reasonable systems with a good software package for the
home user.. if one was to construct a system and purchase the software
separately, it would all cost way more.. the trade-off is that you don't get
all original installation software cds..

Happy computing

Mike H

Graham Haslam

Thanks for your help Mike,

Regards
Graham

Mike H said:
[...]

Gary

Hi Graham

Dont let these PC vendors get u down, you should create your own
recovery disks

Either use any antivirus software to create a recovery disk or check
out http://data-recovery-reviews.com/windows-xp-recovery-disks.htm for
simple instructions on how to create create disks

The better option is to of course, use any antivirus software, that
you have probably purchased already.. they usually come with options
to create recovery disks

Gary

Graham Haslam

Many thanks Gary

Graham

Gary said:
Hi Graham

Dont let these PC vendors get u down, you should create your own
recovery disks

Either use any antivirus software to create a recovery disk or check
out http://data-recovery-reviews.com/windows-xp-recovery-disks.htm for
simple instructions on how to create create disks

The better option is to of course, use any antivirus software, that
you have probably purchased already.. they usually come with options
to create recovery disks

Gary

"Graham Haslam" <[email protected]> wrote in message

fielduq

Hi all,
Why don't we try to use ghost

out http://tinyurl.com/49yfv for
simple instructions on how to create create disks

The better option is to of course, use any antivirus software, that
you have probably purchased already.. they usually come with options
to create recovery disks

Gary

"Graham Haslam" (e-mail address removed) wrote in messag

"NoNoBadDog!" mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com wrote in message
Both Toshiba and Sony have restore partitions. Toshiba has th
necessary
software to make a Restore CD set from the restore Partition. Son
is the
only ones that leave their customers holding the bag. The mos
common
complaint that I hear from those who own them is that thei
customer-
support-
sucks.

Bobby

"TENPOUNDCAKE" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
I just bought a brand new Sony Vaio computer that--
already--
has Windows XP Home Edition installed i wanted to--
backup--
a few files but the problem is that my computer doesn't
have the XP CD so i can't run the backup wizard. Is--
there--
anywat i can get the CD without purchasing XP Home
Edition??

.
-

-