No Start-Search-Files/Folders

Dick Head

I no longer can perform a "Start-Search-Files/Folders"
search. Everything else seems to be OK.

Any ideas-please keep it simple for my simple brain.

Thanks

Dick Head

Hi Carrie
Thanks for answering. Your number 3 is correct-it does
nothing after I click. I won't be back at that computer
until Monday, and I don't know about the right-clicking
thing-I'll try it Monday AM. I also don't think I've D/L'd
SR1 for Office 2000--I do have Office 2000 though. Is an
SR like an SP (Service Pack)?

Anyway, here's another clue to this problem-I also can't
connect to the "Windows Update" feature on the "Start"
menu--same problem, nothing happens. But most of the other
"Start" things work, like "Start-Programs".

Dick

Dick Head

Thanks, George

I've done that "fix"--didn't fix it, although it says the
DLL's are OK.

Benesesso

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi again Dick,

You may want to try the following, which oftentimes fixes the Search option "For
Files or Folders" when Registry Key for that option is missing or corrupt.

- Quit all programs that are running.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type the following command, and then click OK:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

When you receive the "DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded."
message, click OK.

To make changes to this entry effective you may need to reboot.

And if that does not help, there was a recent newsgroup post on the subject that
implicated "Norton". If you are running a Norton product you could try temporarily
stopping it (or booting to Safe Mode) and then seeing if the Search Function returns.

And if none of the above helps see if any of the information in the following
archived newsgroup post solves the problem (KB258549 or deleting an InprocServer32
registry value). Note that I can not find any information supporting the method that
"Eric" used, so try it at your own risk

From: Eric (pub AT galilo DOT net)
Subject: Search Files
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2003-03-23 10:33:29 PST
Google Link:
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&&[email protected]

--
Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- c x g

: "Dick Head" <cumpumper69 AT yahoo DOT com>
: Wrote in message : Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:35 AM
:
: I've done that "fix"--didn't fix it, although it says the
: DLL's are OK.

: > "George Hester" <hesterloli AT hotmail DOT com>
: > Wrote in message : > Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:14 PM
: >
: > What is happening with you is a known issue from Microsoft
: > Office S(ervice)P(ack)1.

: >> Dick Head" <cumpumper69 AT yahoo.com>
: >> Wrote in message : >> Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 10:08 PM
: >>
: >> Thanks for answering. Your number 3 is correct-it does
: >> nothing after I click. I won't be back at that computer
: >> until Monday, and I don't know about the right-clicking
: >> thing-I'll try it Monday AM. I also don't think I've D/L'd
: >> SR1 for Office 2000--I do have Office 2000 though. Is an
: >> SR like an SP (Service Pack)?
: >>
: >> Anyway, here's another clue to this problem-I also can't
: >> connect to the "Windows Update" feature on the "Start"
: >> menu--same problem, nothing happens. But most of the other
: >> "Start" things work, like "Start-Programs".

: >> > "Carrie Garth (MVP)"
: >> > Wrote in message : >> > Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 8:10 AM
: >> >
: >> > Exactly what do you mean when you write "no longer can perform <SNIP>

: >> >:
: >> >: Any ideas-please keep it simple for my simple brain.

Same here...friends.....my Windows 2000 Server's Find/Search files and folders does not work at all.

I am saying when u click [Start] -> [Search] -> [For Files and Folders], nothing happens...it all happened (i believe) after i had installed and uninstalled Office97.

Anyone kind soul please help me...it is urgent...thanks thanks thanks....

(e-mail address removed)

Ozgirl

Alan said:
Same here...friends.....my Windows 2000 Server's Find/Search
files and folders does not work at all.
I am saying when u click [Start] -> [Search] -> [For Files and
Folders], nothing happens...it all happened (i believe) after i
had installed and uninstalled Office97.
Anyone kind soul please help me...it is urgent...thanks thanks
thanks....

I had the same problem after I installed Win2000 SP1. Although in
my case when I tried to search, the Installer program popped up
and tried to Install Office 2000. This may not work for you if
you are not getting the installer popup but try downloading this
utility (be sure to download the right one for your operating
system). There should be a list of programs when you run the
utility, perhaps you have a failed Office install somewhere.
Before I found this utility I used a 3rd party search program
whick was ok but I wanted the original.

http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q238/4/13.ASP

thanks Ozgirl...i am planning to reboot server with Windows 2000 Server CD and have it repaired by selecting [R] for repair. Will it have adverse impact on anything? Not to forget i have Windows 2000 Server patched to SP4 and had Arcserve and MS SQL 2000 running.

Thank you.