"no logon servers currently available" error message

Hope someone can help with this

Just this morning, a whole bunch of users are UNABLE to get to certain machines on the network by UNC means. Here's the weird thing:
The target machine is u
we are able to ping the
we are able to get to them via terminal service
AND we are able to UNC to them via the IP address but not when via computer nam

When they try to UNC via computer name, they get an error saying: "There are currently no logon servers avaialble

This morning, a domain controller was down for a few hours due to a bad memory chip. It's has since been rebooted and working fine, all services started. So it seems the problem is pointing to that one incident. The DC houses the RID, PDC, GC, DNS, and WINS Servers. How can i resolve this issue!!? What am i missing? Help! Thanks!

Chriss3

Have you seen anything related in the event logs of DC you had down for
maintance?

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

Ed said:
Hope someone can help with this.

Just this morning, a whole bunch of users are UNABLE to get to certain
machines on the network by UNC means. Here's the weird thing:
The target machine is up
we are able to ping them
we are able to get to them via terminal services
AND we are able to UNC to them via the IP address but not when via computer name

When they try to UNC via computer name, they get an error saying: "There
are currently no logon servers avaialble"
This morning, a domain controller was down for a few hours due to a bad
memory chip. It's has since been rebooted and working fine, all services
started. So it seems the problem is pointing to that one incident. The DC
houses the RID, PDC, GC, DNS, and WINS Servers. How can i resolve this
issue!!? What am i missing? Help! Thanks!

No it was not down for maintenance, it was down cuz of a bad memory chip had shut it down.

P Aditya Anil Babu

This behavior can be caused by a number of issues that are related to
network connectivity and name resolution.

Are you able to ping using the Systemname as Ping <systemname>. If this
says Unknown Host: This indicates that your computer was not able to
determine which TCP/IP address to communicate with from the computer name
that you typed. Check the configuration for your WINS and DNS services to
make sure that you are able to use these services to translate computer
names to TCP/IP addresses.
Since you are saying that you are able to ping thru IP the TCP/IP
connections are working fine.

Is there any specific Event id shown in the logs?

Thanks,

(e-mail address removed)

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RWQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: "no logon servers currently available" error message
| Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:06:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Hope someone can help with this.

Just this morning, a whole bunch of users are UNABLE to get to certain
machines on the network by UNC means. Here's the weird thing:
The target machine is up
we are able to ping them
we are able to get to them via terminal services
AND we are able to UNC to them via the IP address but not when via computer
name

When they try to UNC via computer name, they get an error saying: "There
are currently no logon servers avaialble"

This morning, a domain controller was down for a few hours due to a bad
memory chip. It's has since been rebooted and working fine, all services
started. So it seems the problem is pointing to that one incident. The DC
houses the RID, PDC, GC, DNS, and WINS Servers. How can i resolve this
issue!!? What am i missing? Help! Thanks!

Yes, we can ping via IP and computer name

What events should we look for in the log file, and what server should I look at for the log files

I forgot to mention, we are getting this error message between child domains, where domain A is unable to get to domain B. THe transitive trusts are there. Also, it's only happening to a handful of users, not the everyone in domain A.