No hard drive message on xp pro install.

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on how to install pro over home?.I currently use ..(barely use since i suddenly became a limited user instead of admin & computer name changed!) ..xp home on my laptop but am having loads of problems so have decided to install a new copy of xp pro onto it.However when i try a boot up installation it stops after a short while saying no hard drive is connected when there is.When i look in bios the hard drive isnt listed but it is shown in the Boot menu...the boot device priority settings show 1st boot=removable device,2nd=network:realtek boot agent,3rd=cd/dvd,4th=hard drive.Ive tried putting 1=cd,2=hd,3=rem,4=net realtek ....but it hasnt made a differance.Boot setting configurations are Quick boot and quiet boot both enabled.
In the Advanced settings menu are --
IDE Configuration which opens to show Primary IDE master :(ATAPI CDROM)
Remote control=(Enabled)
CPU Execute-Disable-Bit=(Enabled)
LCD panel power saving=(Enabled)

Reaction score
In the BIOS set as first boot CD/DVD Rom disable all the others save the settings insert the XP disc and follow the instructions.

Reaction score
When you have set up XP re-enter BIOS and set first boot HDD the others in any order.
Oh and welcome:wave:

Reaction score
No differance

Tried what you said and it still wont detect a hard drive.In the Device priority i set the 1st boot = (cd/dvd) and disabled rest but it still shows a 2nd boot device = (Disabled) and this hasnt gone from the screen as the other two did.Also on the right of the screen the info text says a device enclosed in parnthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Are you sure the drive is functioning? If the hard drive isn't being shown in the bios it would suggest a fault somewhere.

What laptop is it? You might need to install a driver at the F6 point during Win installation if it's a sata drive (unlikely - but you never know).

Covenant

Ask a Question