No audio from Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0

Doc

WinXP Media. Have looked at the surround mixer and the Windows mixer to make
sure nothing's muted. The meter in the surround mixer indicates sound is
happening but nothing coming out of the speakers. Tried both .wav sounds and
the DVD/CD player.

Obvious "duh" stuff checked - speakers plugged in, turned up, plugged into
the correct jack, analog speakers checked in the surround mixer, onboard
audio enabled in bios. Speakers were borrowed from another computer so I
know they work. The guy I got it from swears it was working fine when he
shipped it. Not sure if he just stripped programs out or did a clean
reinstall, potentially making something different from when he used it.
Looking in device manager, audio stuff seems to be in place.

Any suggestions, prior experience with similar issue?

Thanks.

moreno1347

I have three soyo boards and take it from me, dump them , they are crap. I
also have and epof and a dfi and have never had any problems with them. The
fact that soyo has gotten out of the mobo biz should tell you something.

Rod Speed

Doc said:
WinXP Media. Have looked at the surround mixer and the Windows mixer
to make sure nothing's muted. The meter in the surround mixer
indicates sound is happening but nothing coming out of the speakers.
Tried both .wav sounds and the DVD/CD player.

Obvious "duh" stuff checked - speakers plugged in, turned up, plugged
into the correct jack, analog speakers checked in the surround mixer,
onboard audio enabled in bios. Speakers were borrowed from another
computer so I know they work. The guy I got it from swears it was
working fine when he shipped it. Not sure if he just stripped
programs out or did a clean reinstall, potentially making something
different from when he used it. Looking in device manager, audio
stuff seems to be in place.

Any suggestions, prior experience with similar issue?

Have seen that when the audio drivers on the CD that
came with the motherboard havent been installed.

Paul

"Doc" said:
WinXP Media. Have looked at the surround mixer and the Windows mixer to make
sure nothing's muted. The meter in the surround mixer indicates sound is
happening but nothing coming out of the speakers. Tried both .wav sounds and
the DVD/CD player.

Obvious "duh" stuff checked - speakers plugged in, turned up, plugged into
the correct jack, analog speakers checked in the surround mixer, onboard
audio enabled in bios. Speakers were borrowed from another computer so I
know they work. The guy I got it from swears it was working fine when he
shipped it. Not sure if he just stripped programs out or did a clean
reinstall, potentially making something different from when he used it.
Looking in device manager, audio stuff seems to be in place.

Any suggestions, prior experience with similar issue?

Thanks.

Put the two jumpers back on the front panel audio header.
Many motherboards have a 2x5 header, and in order for the
green audio jack on the back of the computer to work,
two jumpers go onto the 2x5 header. If the previous owner
pulled the board from his case, and had front panel audio
connected to the header, he probably forgot to put the
two jumpers back where they belong.

On your motherboard, the 2x5 header is called "audio2".
One jumper goes from pin 5-6 and the other jumper from
pin 9-10.

http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2251

A typical audio header, with jumpers in place, looks
like this:

 1 *   * 2     Key: *   = pin on header
 3 *   * 4          <-> = two pin jumper plug
 5 *<->* 6
 7 *
 9 *<->* 10

HTH,
Paul

Doc

Farting around, I discovered that if I set the surround mixer to 4 speakers,
I get sound out of the blue jack designated as Ls & Rs, but not out of the
center green jack designated at L & R. If I set it to 6 speakers, I get
sound out the blue Ls & Rs and one side of the pink jack (one is for center,
one is for the subwoofer - I assume the one I'm getting sound from is the
center speaker output) but still nothing from the green L & R speaker, which
is also the designated jack for the 2 speaker setting.

Wondering if it's a hardware or software issue. How would you tell?

GuessWho

Doc,

I have your exact board in another machine and you do get into BIOS by
hitting the (DEL) key, per Louie's post, as the machine is booting up.

I don't have access to the SOYO machine right now but I didn't have any
trouble setting up the audio using the audio software that is included on
the setup disc. As I recall, there were several options and I chose the 2
speaker option.

I don't remember if there were any updated audio drivers but if you scan
from the Windows Update site, you will be told if there are newer drivers
available. The only issue I had with the board was it's Prescott support.
You needed a BIOS update or a Hotfix from MS. Also, the board has rather
limited overclocking capability.

Wayne

John Doe

Is the frequent cross-posting necessary?

From: "Doc" <docsavage20 xhotmail.xom>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.computer.workshop
Subject: No audio from Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:24:33 GMT

"Doc" said:
Farting around, I discovered that if I set the surround mixer to 4 speakers,
I get sound out of the blue jack designated as Ls & Rs, but not out of the
center green jack designated at L & R. If I set it to 6 speakers, I get
sound out the blue Ls & Rs and one side of the pink jack (one is for center,
one is for the subwoofer - I assume the one I'm getting sound from is the
center speaker output) but still nothing from the green L & R speaker, which
is also the designated jack for the 2 speaker setting.

Wondering if it's a hardware or software issue. How would you tell?

Did you see my other post ?

Put the jumpers back on the audio2 header.

Paul

Doc

Paul said:
Did you see my other post ?

Put the jumpers back on the audio2 header.

I was going to ask you about that. I did read your post, but it's not clear
to me where/what the header you're referring to is. Where on the board
should I be looking?

Doc

I was going to ask you about that. I did read your post, but it's not clear
to me where/what the header you're referring to is. Where on the board
should I be looking?

Ah, wait, I think I see what you're talking about on the mobo diagram.

Doc

Put the jumpers back on the audio2 header.

Yup, that did the trick. I really appreciate it!

Not territory I'm familiar with since I've never fooled around with on-board
audio, have always used sound cards.