No "Assign Macro"

G

In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something

If not by this elusive shortcut menu item, how can I assign the pre recorded macro through code?

D

Dan E

Aaron,

It may be that your working with a command button from the "Control Toolbox" instead
of one from the "Forms Toolbar".

On the menus: View -> Toolbars -> Forms
Try one of the command buttons off of this toolbar and see if you get the same result.

Dan E

Aaron said:
In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record
the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried
this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something?

G

Thanks Dan, that was it! Was is the difference between the forms buttons and the control toolbox buttons? When should I use one vs the other?

D

Dan E

From Help

Microsoft Excel provides two ways to add controls to a worksheet. ActiveX controls in the
Control Toolbox allow you to create custom controls and control events. The controls on the
Forms toolbar are for use with existing Excel macros.

If you want a better explanation, it might be helpful to start a new post with just this subject.
Probably someone else can explain it better than I can.

Dan E

Aaron said:
Thanks Dan, that was it! Was is the difference between the forms buttons and the control toolbox buttons? When should I use one
vs the other?

Ask a Question