Windows XP nlite + XP SP3 challenge !!!!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to have a go at making me own XP istilation disc using nlite. Found this excellent guide to follow,

http://www.winaddons.com/nlite-14-tutorial/#comments

It suggests adding the Driver Packs from here,

http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

Is this worth doing and will it be useful for me ??

Also they recomend using their alredy configured add-on's. So I had alook at the applications and decided to add these.

attachment.php

This is the link ,

http://www.winaddons.com/nlite-addons

Have I missed any that you all would add to me list ??

I'm going to add SP3 and all the updates after that. Here are the updates I have found.

attachment.php

Have I missed any ????

Do I need to slipstream " DirectX 9 " or is it alredy included in XP SP2 ???? If it is not included in SP2 how do I slipstream it ??
Will it be the same as slipstreaming IE7 ??

Any helpfull info would be great. Ta.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• 2008-10-13_210357.png
    2008-10-13_210357.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 714
  • 2008-10-13_210454.png
    2008-10-13_210454.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,083
Reaction score
Will be a good idea.

I got an installation like this and it saved me a **** lot of time.

You should put in your own applications too. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Will be a good idea.

I got an installation like this and it saved me a **** lot of time.

You should put in your own applications too. :)

I have not found a clear enough guide to help me put in my own applications. :confused:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Surely its going to take longer to install all the extra you will add on, probably the same amount of time to actually update XP after a fresh install anyway???

Plus theres always new updates and fixes so its always going to be out of date.

Either i'm missing the point or its pointless?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have several XP Pro discs with SP2 on it.

I'm going to put XP Pro on me new pc. also going to do a clean install of XP Pro on my present pc which is then going to my sister, also re-building a XP Pro pc for a friend.

Qestion do I,

a) do three seperate installs with XP Pro SP2 and then do all the updates(yawn) then put in all the programs mentioned seperatly on each pc (yawn, yawn).

b) Spend a bit of time whilst surfing the net, to download all the bits I need, then spend a little time getting the nlite cd set up and made. Then spend three happy sessions installing on the three pc's.

You work it out :D

Also in the unlikely event that one of the pc's os's goes tits up which of the above options would you rather be doing a) (yawn) , b) using the preset up cd (happy smiles)

Once again you work out the best optionfor yourself.

Of course with Windows being such a bomb proof os and modern hardware never ever breaking my method may seem like madness but us tyke's are a peculiar bunch.

:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Someone on the site must have some experience with nlite.

Please oh mighty pc guru show me the way.
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Although I used nlite some time ago - I'm no expert I'm afraid.

These days I just do relatively simple integration using RyanVM's Integrator and addons.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well it took me about one hour on me single core pc to make the nlite XP cd (600MB) with all the add on programs shown in me pics along with SP3 and all the updates to Oct. Some of the themes and extra microsoft stuff would not load as they need switches and compileing into cabs.
Still I got a customised XP cd with extra programs and bits along with some system tweaks in a very short time.
The cd worked just fine. Only had to enter a couple of things at the start and then it was on its merry way. Twenty five minutes later I had a fully updated XP and lots of programs installed on me pc.Tried out some of the programs and they seem to work just fine.

I think that is amazing.
nod.gif

Have to do a little more investigating as to how I can incorporate driversand how to make cabs for some more programs.

Well worth the effort. So next time I need to do a fresh install it will be easy peasy.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question