New Windows Mobile 5.0 projects have non-PDA form size

Richard Lewis Haggard

I've made CE apps before, in Dev Studio 2003, and the IDE automatically
produced a form that was appropriate for the PDA. However, I don't see that
happening in VS05. It seems to default the form to normal Windows size which
is, of course, inappropriate for the compact frame work's screen. Is this
normal or am I not setting something right when I first create the project?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

In the new project wizard, choose Other Languages, Visual C#, Smart Device,
and the target device type (Pocket PC 2003, Smartphone 2003, Windows CE 5.0,
Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone). That should give
you the right project type.

Paul T.

Richard Lewis Haggard

"In the new project wizard, choose Other Languages" - How? My VS05 doesn't
present that option. The closest I can come (which is exactly what I was
doing before) is, in the New Project dialog, in the Project types: tree,
select Visual C3->Smart Device->Windows CE 5.0 and in the Templates window,
select Device Application. The status line within the dialog says "A project
for creating a .NET Compact Framework 2.0 forms application for Windows CE
5.0 and later". However, when the project is actually created, the main form
size is 640x480. Should be 480x640.
--
Richard Lewis Haggard
www.Haggard-And-Associates.com
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
In the new project wizard, choose Other Languages, Visual C#, Smart
Device, and the target device type (Pocket PC 2003, Smartphone 2003,
Windows CE 5.0, Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC, Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone).
That should give you the right project type.

Paul T.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Yes, if you choose "Windows CE 5.0", that's what you'll get. There's no
"right" size for a Windows CE 5 device (we have 640x240 devices, and 800x600
devices; it could be *anything*). If you select one of the Pocket PC or
Smartphone targets, you'll get the right size. If you don't have Smartphone
and Pocket PC targets, I think you have an SDK still to install.

PocketPC:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f2-f524-4ec5-9155-717cbe5d25ed&DisplayLang=en

There's also this complete Resource Kit with a bunch of other (useless),
stuff in it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7d-04c1-4ec2-83dc-61b21ec5fe57&DisplayLang=en

Paul T.

Richard Lewis Haggard said:
"In the new project wizard, choose Other Languages" - How? My VS05 doesn't
present that option. The closest I can come (which is exactly what I was
doing before) is, in the New Project dialog, in the Project types: tree,
select Visual C3->Smart Device->Windows CE 5.0 and in the Templates
window, select Device Application. The status line within the dialog says
"A project for creating a .NET Compact Framework 2.0 forms application for
Windows CE 5.0 and later". However, when the project is actually created,
the main form size is 640x480. Should be 480x640.

Just change the Form size. You can also change the emulator configuration
to use that resolution, but without a custom SDK that adds a custom project
type to Studio, that is the "standard" size it uses for CE (since CE can
have *any* resolution).

--
Chris Tacke
OpenNETCF Consulting

Richard Lewis Haggard said:
"In the new project wizard, choose Other Languages" - How? My VS05 doesn't
present that option. The closest I can come (which is exactly what I was
doing before) is, in the New Project dialog, in the Project types: tree,
select Visual C3->Smart Device->Windows CE 5.0 and in the Templates
window, select Device Application. The status line within the dialog says
"A project for creating a .NET Compact Framework 2.0 forms application for
Windows CE 5.0 and later". However, when the project is actually created,
the main form size is 640x480. Should be 480x640.

Dick Grier

Have you installed the PPC SDK?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F2-F524-4EC5-9155-717CBE5D25ED&displaylang=en

You should be able to select an appropriate PPC device type (there is an
equivalent SDK for WM5 SmartPhones).

Dick

--
Richard Grier, MVP