    I have tried to examine and remove unnecessary programs being run at startup.

    Any suggestions as to what to look for?

    David Schreiber

    Guest, Sep 22, 2004

    Malke Guest

    David Schreiber wrote:

    > I am running into a problem where, with only a few applications open,
    > I run out of some kind of Windows resource and can no longer open new
    > windows.
    > This includes the ability to click on menu items and have them drop
    > down. It
    > also includes the ability to click "Start" and have those menus
    > appear. It also includes the ability to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete and have
    > task manager appear (instead it just beeps).
    >
    > I am running Windows XP with SP2. My computer has 512MB of RAM and
    > 1000MB of paging file space.
    >
    > I have tried to examine and remove unnecessary programs being run at
    > startup.

    What does a scan with a current antivirus program (meaning a version not
    earlier than 2003 using updated virus definitions) show?

    Also, remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure
    to update these programs before running them. These programs are free,
    so run them both since they complement each other. It is best to run
    antivirus and spyware removal tools in Safe Mode. You may also want to
    run CWShredder and HijackThis from http://aumha.org/freeware.htm.
    Although CWShredder is no longer being updated, it will still clean
    older variants of the CoolWebSearch malware. A combination of
    HijackThis and About:Buster (http://www.majorgeeks.com) works well in
    removing homepage hijackers. Please read the instructions carefully.
    Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
    in Folder Options). Also, make sure you've visited Windows Update and
    applied all security patches. Do not install driver updates from
    Windows Update. Make sure you are running a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Adjust your desktop heap size:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems.

    The "Windows" value has a long string, including
    "SharedSection=xxxx,yyyy,zzzz". The second number (yyyy) is the one that
    you want to increase. It is probably at 3MB (3072) which allegedly supports
    15,000 elements (windows, menus, etc.). While arbitrarily high values are
    not recommended, other users found 8MB fixed the problem (8192).

    While this may work, I cannot explain why your current value does not. I
    have XP SP1 with 256MB and have never encountered this with a 3072 heap
    size. Oh well. Hope it works.

    ---
    You can have anything you want... you just can't have everything.
    -e
    "David Schreiber" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Eric Hymander, Sep 22, 2004

    Eric,

    I ran a quick test and this appears to have fixed me problem.

    Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

    David Schreiber

    Guest, Sep 23, 2004