New VIA AGP Driver

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Via Arena send word on some new VIA AGP Drivers:

Due to be released in the within an hour is VIA’s New AGP driver. Soon available, is an AGP driver version 4.10b which is Microsoft certified. The version of the AGP driver in the current 4.37(a) 4 in 1 drivers is the 4.05c. This new version named 4.10b has been designed to enhance performance under Windows XP. Tested on a KT266A chipset motherboards with a GeForce 3, and WinXP, this driver provided an extra 3 fps in Quake III and an extra 100 marks in 3D Mark 2001

Download them here

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just downloaded that driver and the VIA 4-in-1's V4.37a.

Strange the 4-in-1's are a 1.2MB Zip yet the stand alone AGP drivers is over a 5MB Zip.

I have the default Microsoft drivers installed at the moment but I've been suffering the infinite loop bug in Deus Ex & Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

I'm using a Radeon 32MB DDR 7200 vid card. Latest drivers installed a coupla weeks ago.

Now, how the hell do I install these new VIA drivers?

I've a feeling the AGP driver is under Device Manager > System Devices > VIA Tech CPU to AGP controller. Is that correct?

Anybody wanna lend a helping hand here, all advice apreciated. I've never updated the 4-in-1's with WIN XP.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just doing the same now:

1) Extract all the 4.37a files (1.2 Meg) in to a temporary DIR, then run the main setup.exe file... All I needed to do was click next and stick with the default settings several times

once setup is complete, reboot and follow any prompts and click continue/next on them

2) Extract the new AGP drivers in to a temporary dir, and again run setup.exe and then click next a couple of times, and then restart

once more, follow any prompts by clicking next/continue

All Done :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cheers Ian

Thanks for the quick response.

That sounds straightforward enough. OK, let's give it a go...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No Problem :) I was about to install it just as I noticed your post!

I'm up and running with them now, and they seem to work fine and dandy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just installed them as well. I've been playing Wolfenstein for half an hour or so, no 'infinite loop' suffered so far, so that seems OK. I'd already played Wolfenstein through at Christmas, thought I'd give it another go. Had no probs then, only thing that's changed since then was upgrading the Radeon drivers. Odd.

Still no luck with Deus Ex though. I'm only playing the demo as I wanted to make sure it worked OK before I bought the whole game - it's out on budget now.

I get through the training mission OK, it's when I enter the game proper it seizes up. I have read some people haven't been able to run Deus Ex at all within WIN XP.

Maybe the budget reissue of the game is patched? Not sure what to do really, could always make this rig a dual boot with WIN98SE, that can be done with Partition Magic even though WIN XP is already installed. We shall see.

Other than that, all seems fine. Thanks again for your help :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No Problem :)

What exactly is the infinite loop bug?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Infinite loop

I'm sure you know that a lot of games designed to run under WIN98SE & earlier didn't run on WIN 2K. With WINXP Microsoft had hoped to make the OS more compatible with older games.

It has worked to a degree but still certain games 'lock'. The symptoms are that the sound gets stuck in a loop, everything seizes up and the only way out is to hit the reset button.

Some games work fine, others don't.

Here's a link to a looooong thread at another Forum that may give some insight: Infinite loop

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ahh - I have been experiencing these problems too - and I never knew what it was!

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Guys there is one of the overclocking utilities that is suppose to fix the infinite loop error under Nvidia cards ,cant remember which utility atm ,but I always thought it was nvidia cards only and ATI cards didnt have the problem?

wildone

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops, it don't work?

one of these day I will remember that I now use K7S5A with a SiS® 735 Chipset and I should not install anything VIA. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by wildone
Guys there is one of the overclocking utilities that is suppose to fix the infinite loop error under Nvidia cards ,cant remember which utility atm ,but I always thought it was nvidia cards only and ATI cards didnt have the problem?

wildone

That's what I thought, but I'm definitely getting similar symptoms, as mentioned above.

Strange eh? :confused:

Mucks:

You're a silly billy aren't you? :D

Reaction score
I get the lock ups and i'm using a gf3. Thought it was a problem with the card, cos I get loads of wierd things happening to my system. Every so often mostly whilst im at the log in screen the system goes all chequerd and i have to hit the restart button. But the chequered problem happens in games and whilst just general pc use. So the card is going back to dabs for testing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fontburn:

If you send your Gf3 back to Dabs and it's actually faultless, you're going to be without it for quite a long time.

Do you have another card you can use while the Gf3 is away and if so does that one work OK?

What OS are you using?

Before returning the card for testing, may I suggest trying a few different Nvidia drivers?

You can get them from www.guru3D.com

If you're unsure of anything, just shout :)

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Yeah ,I aggree with floppy ,I would try some different drivers and see where it gets me,what drivers are you useing now?

wildone

Reaction score
I have tried ever driver from 10.?? upwards all the way to the 24.?? and I get the same results. I'm running an xp/98se system and it happens in both. I've tried different DDR Ram and I've check the heat. The ony thing that i can say for sure is if it doesn't happen for about 5-10 mins then the system will work for as long as it wants, and it happens more at startup than at any other time.

Ask a Question