Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date: 4/8/2007 12:45:27 PM
Event ID: 1500
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that
you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning
correctly.

DETAIL - The system cannot find the path specified.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service"
Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" EventSourceName="profsvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1500</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>1016</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>shankars</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1094207062-1088527449-342408442-1004" />
</System>
<EventData Name="EVENT_FAILED_LOAD_PROFILE">
<Data Name="Error">The system cannot find the path specified. </Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

My ProfileList key in the REgistry looks like this
Default : D:\Users\Default
ProfilesDirectory: %SystemDrive%\Users (I changed it to D:\Users and then
back)
ProgramData: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData
Public: D:\Users\Public

Any help in fixing this error is appreciated.

TIA

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
When you changed the folder in the registry from %systemdrive%\users to
d:\users did you also copy over the all the files and folders that existed
on %systemdrive%\users?
When a new user is created the system looks for the default user account (
normally located at %systemdrive\users\default) and copies that profile to
the new user accoun to use as a starting point for account creation. So if
accounts that were located at %systemdrive%\users were not copied to
d:\users in particular %systemdrive%\users\default there isn't a default
account to create the new user acocunt with.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2hpa2FyaXNoYW1idQ==?=
<[email protected]>
|>Subject: New user account creation fails - Vista 64 Ultimate
|>Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:04:00 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>I have Vista 64 bit Ulitmate running on HP Presario dual core 64bit with
2GB
|>RAM.
|>
|>I have the hard disk partitioned to two c and D. C for the OS and D for
|>data. I want the Users directory and everything under it on D.
|>
|>And, this is where my problems started. When I create an account using
the
|>Welcome Center the account creates (at least I do not get an error). But,
|>when I try to logon with that I get "User Profile Service service failed
|>logon".
|>
|>I see the following error in the event log
|>Log Name: Application
|>Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
|>Date: 4/8/2007 12:45:27 PM
|>Event ID: 1500
|>Task Category: None
|>Level: Error
|>Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check
that
|>you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning
|>correctly.
|>
|> DETAIL - The system cannot find the path specified.
|>Event Xml:
|><Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
|> <System>
|> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service"
|>Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" EventSourceName="profsvc" />
|> <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1500</EventID>
|> <Version>0</Version>
|> <Level>2</Level>
|> <Task>0</Task>
|> <Opcode>0</Opcode>
|> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
|> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-04-08T17:45:27.000Z" />
|> <EventRecordID>1016</EventRecordID>
|> <Correlation />
|> <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
|> <Channel>Application</Channel>
|> <Computer>shankars</Computer>
|> <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1094207062-1088527449-342408442-1004" />
|> </System>
|> <EventData Name="EVENT_FAILED_LOAD_PROFILE">
|> <Data Name="Error">The system cannot find the path specified. </Data>
|> </EventData>
|></Event>
|>
|>My ProfileList key in the REgistry looks like this
|>Default : D:\Users\Default
|>ProfilesDirectory: %SystemDrive%\Users (I changed it to D:\Users and then
|>back)
|>ProgramData: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData
|>Public: D:\Users\Public
|>
|>Any help in fixing this error is appreciated.
|>
|>TIA

shikarishambu

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I guess that could have been the problem. I did
manage to get it fixed by following the steps outlined in this post

http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista/

It wasn't pretty but it works.

I am more than a touch disappointed with Vista. MSFT seem to have taken the
approach that users are either idiots or powershell/registry gurus and
completely forgotten about the so called "power" users - who need a little
more configuration tweaking but do not have the necessary tech skills.

I can't wait for sp1 to come out.

Thanks

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

|> <EventRecordID>1016</EventRecordID>
|> <Correlation />
|> <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
|> <Channel>Application</Channel>
|> <Computer>shankars</Computer>
|> <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1094207062-1088527449-342408442-1004" />
|> </System>
|> <EventData Name="EVENT_FAILED_LOAD_PROFILE">
|> <Data Name="Error">The system cannot find the path specified.
</Data>
|> </EventData>
|></Event>
|>
|>My ProfileList key in the REgistry looks like this
|>Default : D:\Users\Default
|>ProfilesDirectory: %SystemDrive%\Users (I changed it to D:\Users and
then
|>back)
|>ProgramData: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData
|>Public: D:\Users\Public
|>
|>Any help in fixing this error is appreciated.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The option to locate the profile at another location still exists Windows
Vista just as it did in Windows XP.
Right-click on My computer and choose manage:
Choose Local users and Groups
choose a user and choose the profiles tab.
On this tab is the option to choose a path for the local profile for each
user.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "shikarishambu" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: New user account creation fails - Vista 64 Ultimate
|>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:19:19 -0500
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>Hi,
|> Thanks for the response. I guess that could have been the problem. I
did
|>manage to get it fixed by following the steps outlined in this post
|>
|>http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/change-user-profile-folder-locat
ion-in-vista/

|>It wasn't pretty but it works.
|>
|>I am more than a touch disappointed with Vista. MSFT seem to have taken
the
|>approach that users are either idiots or powershell/registry gurus and
|>completely forgotten about the so called "power" users - who need a
little
|>more configuration tweaking but do not have the necessary tech skills.
|>
|>I can't wait for sp1 to come out.
|>
|>Thanks

|>> When you changed the folder in the registry from %systemdrive%\users to
|>> d:\users did you also copy over the all the files and folders that
existed
|>> on %systemdrive%\users?
|>> When a new user is created the system looks for the default user
account (
|>> normally located at %systemdrive\users\default) and copies that profile
|>> the new user accoun to use as a starting point for account creation.
So
|>> if
|>> accounts that were located at %systemdrive%\users were not copied to
|>> d:\users in particular %systemdrive%\users\default there isn't a default
|>> account to create the new user acocunt with.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>> 2GB

|>> the
|>> But,

|>> that

EventSourceName="profsvc"
|>> />
|>> </Data>

|>> then

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

When you changed the folder in the registry from %systemdrive%\users to
d:\users did you also copy over the all the files and folders that existed
on %systemdrive%\users?

Interesting that you can do the above; from eXPerience, I expected
that to fail?
When a new user is created the system looks for the default user account
(normally located at %systemdrive\users\default) and copies that profile to
the new user accoun to use as a starting point for account creation. So if
accounts that were located at %systemdrive%\users were not copied to
d:\users in particular %systemdrive%\users\default there isn't a default
account to create the new user acocunt with.

Which poses a Q I really want answered or URL'd:

How do I modify that new user account template?

It's not enough to simply copy files over except for the registry (as
one MS article suggests) because I want to edit the registry too.

Copying the registry hive over as well, raises two problems:

1) Need to interactively apply settings
2) Hard-coded references to a particular account's locations etc.

Else one might:
- set up a new account and log into it
- set that account's settings, paths etc. as required
- log out, and copy that account's registry to Default User

That passes (1) but may break on (2).

Or I could bind the Default User hive to HKLM via Regedit and manually
edit settings that way.

That passes (2) if I'm careful, but breaks on (1).

The problem is that it's hard to determine what .REG edits match
settings that one applies through the UI. So what one needs to do is
to log into Default User and be able to set things interactively
there, which AFAIK is not a possibility.

Also; are all settings for a new account derived from Default User, or
are some applied from hidden "boilerplate"?

Thanks for any help you can give - this has been a "Holy Grail" for
me, as without the ability to do this, multiple accounts are a menace.

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Who is General Failure and
why is he reading my disk?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

The option to locate the profile at another location still exists Windows
Vista just as it did in Windows XP.
Right-click on My computer and choose manage:
Choose Local users and Groups
choose a user and choose the profiles tab.
On this tab is the option to choose a path for the local
profile for each user.

Not seeing this in XP Home SP2 - is this a "Pro only" thing?

If so, is it also absent in Vista Home Basic and Premium?

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I don't have a "Home" installation to check whether it's available in there
or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]