New boot hard drive will not access old system

J

justme

I have installed a new hard drive and loaded the system on it. The old
system was set up as a slave. The problem is I cannot access the old system.
It shows a few folders like "Common" and "SP1" and "SP2" but access is
denied.

jmf

G

You probably already fixed this by now but if you have not...

right click your old driv

go to the securities ta

select the proper user(s)/group(s) you want to have acces
set the proper check boxes for authority (usually allow all if you are setting this up for administration privs

select Ok or Apply

The system should take a few minutes to update your security permissions depending on drive size and
processor speed (took a while doing my 120gigx2 raid partition even with a 2.4ghz

After that you should be all set. If you have folders that were dropped or dragged onto there from another machin
through a network, the security keys already installed on the previous OS (I am imagining they are lurking somewher
in your old registry) on your old drive will not have transfered over and there is a chance your current OS will not be able to modify those folders protections. There is a norton program good for fixing those but unfortunately I forget the name :

Im sure with a little search on their site you could find it
You should not need it though unless for some reason the above didnt work on your old drive (it should work fine though

ji
(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question