networking problem

G

I have two computers in which I am trying to connect. one is running a realtek netadapter, the other an intel pro. I am getting an indication that the cable is connected between the two. and I have run the network wizard multiple times but the two computers never appear together in the network places. Both computers are running XP home edition. Each computer has it's own internet connection. The is a network bridge between my 1394 adapter and the LAN connection

G

same prob here exept i have WinXPHome AND Win98SE

email me at marat.kulakhmetov @ gmail . com

G

Some more details please.

Are these computers connecting via dailup or DSL? If it is DSL are you using a router or a hub/switch?

I don't know why MS wizard always wants to install a bridge but in most cases I find that I don't need it.

Are you using the same workgroup name?

G

they are connected through my lan port via cat5 cable. There is no hub or router between them. we have more computers hooked together in the same fashion which are operating great. I tried to copy the settings from these two but to no avail. Those two don't have network bridges on them so I know it's not neccessary. I just tried going with what the network wizard setup.

G

I got Comcast Cable and am obviously using a cable modem,
which is hooked up to a router and then to both PCs
-----Original Message-----
Some more details please.

Are these computers connecting via dailup or DSL? If it
is DSL are you using a router or a hub/switch?
I don't know why MS wizard always wants to install a
bridge but in most cases I find that I don't need it.
Are you using the same workgroup name?
one is running a realtek netadapter, the other an intel
pro. I am getting an indication that the cable is
connected between the two. and I have run the network
wizard multiple times but the two computers never appear
together in the network places. Both computers are
running XP home edition. Each computer has it's own
internet connection. The is a network bridge between my
1394 adapter and the LAN connection

G

OK jwgii2001,
If your computers are connected together via a cat 5 cable without a hub or switch then the cable must be what is called a cross over cable. If not you can not share files. To check this cable unplug each end and hold it clip side up. Look at the color for each wire in each location through the clear plastic. If both cable ends have the same wire colors in the same pin locations then you don't have a cross over cable.

Since you did't tell me if you are using dailup or high speed connection I will asume you are using dail up unless each computer has a second ethernet connection. If you are using a high speed connection then please explain how it is connected.

You must go into the network card properties and make sure the following services are installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and print sharing
TCP/IP
Qpacket

Now select tcp/ip and click properties and select use the following IP. for both computers use the subnet as 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Now for the IP address, comp #1 should be 192.168.1.2 and comp #2 should be 192.168.1.3.

Now open my computer properties and click the networking tab and make sure each computer has a unique name and the workgroup name is the same on both computers.

By the way, remove the bridge.

Reboot and try it out.

(e-mail address removed)
If your using a router, most routers have a built in DHCP server which assings each PC an IP address so you should not setup a static IP address. Yours should be set to get IP automaticlly.

Each router has configuration that needs to be done. There is also a login that will be needed in order to configure it. check your doumentation. You need to make sure DHCP is turned on.

Ask a Question