Access Networking..cant access shared folders

Reaction score
Sorry...another simple thing I`m pretty stuck with.

I`m trying to network the 2 computers in the flat (computers A and B)so they can share files. Computer A connects to the internet, and B connects to computer A to use the internet, so theres a good start. Problem is, they wont talk to each other for file sending.

Have tried pathping and they can see each other fine. Computer A can see Computers A and B on the network but cant access B, while computer B cant see either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kenny *network noob* :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The most obvious thing to ask is if you have enabled the folders for sharing.

If they're in 'My Documents' you have to enable 'My Documents' for sharing.

Do this by right clicking on the My Doc link in menu, select properties, click sharing and tick relevant boxes.

If you've already done that, try setting up network again on both machines and re-booting both.

All I can think of, offhand.

Reaction score
Hey Flops..tried sharing more of the folders, but still nothing. on my computer (computer B, above) up comes a box with

"MSHome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Blah Blah admin. The list of servers for this webgroup is not currently available"

?

Kenny

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I'm at a bit of a loss then, only time I've got that message is when folders or hard drives aren't enabled for sharing.

Can both computers see each other? How are you networked? Hub? Router?

Can you play LAN games ok?

Reaction score
We`re connected by a cable between LAN sockets. My flatmates computer can see me ok, but I cant see him. i`ve went over his stuff and theres plenty of shared folders. Mine has a few too. We`re getting a router/modem in the next couple weeks, never tried playing LAN games.

Could it be firewall settings or similar?

I hate feeling so damn stupid, I used to do stuff like this with my old flatmate, but that was a looonnnggg time ago.

Thanks for trying to help dig me out :)

Kenny

Reaction score
It most certainly is a firewall problem, if you're using the XP firewall you need to check 'File and Print sharing' in the Exceptions tab. I'm not sure what the exact settings for ZA are if you are using this, but you could try turning it off for a test and see if you can get access to the shares this way.

Reaction score
I agree. it sounds like a firewall issue where system A has a firwall installed that is not letting system B see it on the network. That is what a firewall is for but it can cause this kind of headache as well. I would try waht Steve suggests below, turn the firewall off on both systems and see if that make a difference. If so, the problem is easily solved by adding the PC name to the exceptions list. If the firewall is not the problem, you can also try to browse using the IP address of the target PC in the browser address bar.

First, make sure you know the IP address of each system by running IPCONFIG (XP and 2000) or WINIPCFG (95, 98, ME)

Next, make sure they can ping each other.

From RUN Type CMD. In the Dos emulator, type PING <IP Address> If they can ping, move on to the final step:

If System A is 10.20.1.101 and System B is 10.20.1.102. Type \\10.20.1.101 in system Bs browser listing. You should be able to see the folder shares in the browser windows.

Let me know if you need more detail.

Reaction score
You said that the computers are connected by cable LAN socket to LAN socket? I just wonder, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned, whether a crossover cable being used?

Ask a Question