Networking between operating systems

Reaction score
"My" flat has 2 computers. Until recently they both ran Mindows ME but my flatmate recently upgraded to XP. Our computers are connected by cable to identical network cards in each computer. Since the upgrade, the network hasn`t worked. I dont know why. Can different O.S.`s talk to each other through a cable? Will buying a hub help? Iv been through the network settings who knows how many times and although we can both get onto the network, each computer cant see the other one. When the ME computer is turned off, the XP computer registers a network connection broken.

Any help welcome :) cheers

Reaction score
just a vote of confidence, it should work! but why not do yourself a double favour and upgrade yours to XP?

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for hint. No way do I want XP. Flatmate is still ironing out bugs. None of his games work! hehehehe. When I absolutely HAVE to go to XP, I will... kicking and screaming.....

Reaction score
best bet is to dual boot 98 and XP, use 98 for games and XP for the rest, cos with WIN ME you'll never stop ironing out the bugs!

Reaction score
:-D got network up. Have no idea what we did, but it works :)

My ME computer is rock-steady! Never knew there were any real issues with bugs! and its been exempt from all the viruses that have been on the go recently :):)

Ask a Question