Network Computers not Seeing Each Other?

Charliec

I have a problem with my Home Network PCs not seeing each other on the
Network. I have a desktop and Laptop that are connected via a 4-Point
Linksys Router to a DSL Internet connection. In the past, I have been able
to share the DSL Internet connection with both computers and also share
files/folders and printers that are on the desktop with the laptop. For
some reason, the PCs are no longer seeing each other. I can still share
the Internet Connection with both, but not file and printer sharing.

I checked the Command Prompt/IPConfig /All and get the proper IP Address
for each PC. The address for the desktop ends in .100 and the laptop in
..101 - which is as it's always been. If I do a Ping IP Address from
desktop to laptop, it times out. The same if I do a Ping IP Address from
laptop to desktop. So they are not seeing each other on the network.

Both machines are running WinXP with all updates. The Workgroup on each is
the same workgroup name. The Network Connection on both are set with the
following enabled:

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

What could be causing the PCs to not see each other on the Network?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Charlie
Charliec
Remove XXX to reply via Email

Chuck

[...]

Charlie,

90% of the time, this is caused by a misbehaving firewall. Did you install any
firewall software?

Can you ping the router successfully from both?

Please post ipconfig information for each computer. Start - Run - "ipconfig
/all >c:\ipconfig.txt" - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into
your next post.

Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

Charliec

Well Chuck,
It appears to have something to do with Norton Internet Security's
Firewall. I disable it and the sharing, etc now works. But in the past,
I've never had to turn off the firewall to get sharing to work - it's been
working together for a couple of years. Maybe a setting in the Firewall
has changed that might be conflicting. Any idea what, if you are fimilar
with NIS.

With that, do you still need the IPConfig info posted here for both (is it
safe to post that info!).

Thanks
[...]

Since you did identify NIS as part of the problem, ipconfig data is not useful
now.

Posting ipconfig data by itself is not dangerous IMHO, unless your news server
also posts your host ip (NNTP-Posting-Host) (Sonic Typhoon does - look in your
headers). But posting your email address is not safe. As a Sonic customer (I
am too) you have access to Newscene and Supernews, neither of which post your
host ip address. I post thru Typhoon only when Newscene and Supernews are
acting up.

I have used NIS in the past, but that was a much earlier version (what version
do you have). Try re enabling NIS, and then enabling the following ports in
your local (highly trusted) zone: TCP 139, 445; UDP 137, 138, 445.

You may get more advice re the NIS problem in comp.security.firewalls.

Cheers,
Chuck

Charliec

Ok,
What I did was go into NIS (v2004) and in the Personal Firewall, on the
Networking Tab, I added the IP Addresses for both computer in the "Trusted
Zone" and the sharing, etc appears to be working again. If I remember
correctly, those entries were there before - not sure how they got removed.

Thanks for the tips and pointers. Hopefully, my problem is solved.
[...]

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Chuck

Charliec

You mentioned in a previous posting about "hiding" your email address in
postings. How does one do that? I'm using a program called "Forte Agent"
as my newsreader and looking through the options, don't see the means to do
that.
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Chuck

Charliec
Remove XXX to reply via Email

Chuck

You mentioned in a previous posting about "hiding" your email address in
postings. How does one do that? I'm using a program called "Forte Agent"
as my newsreader and looking through the options, don't see the means to do
that.
Thanks
Charlie

With Agent, you go into Preferences - Servers and Accounts - User Identity (V2
Agent), or Options - User And System Profile - User (V1 Agent). The value
"Email Address" is discretionary there - traditionally you would enter your
actual address. Tradition has long been a bad advice. I changed my setting to
(e-mail address removed) long ago.

You should stop using Typhoon for your posting server. Typhoon broadcasts your
ip address in two places. Look at the headers in one of your posts (Message -
Show All Header Fields) (Don't look in your Outbox - look at one of your posts
on the server). Here's what you're broadcasting (OK, I munged your identity
details - YOUR ip address isn't 208.201.999.888):

From: Charliec <*email_address_deleted*>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Subject: Re: Network Computers not Seeing Each Other?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:41:41 GMT

Stay safe, Charlie.

Cheers,
Chuck

If this ever happens again there is an option in the
nortons firewall to (forgive me for not remembering the
exact wording) run network wizard. Run this on both
nortons and it will also open the network.

Charliec

Chuck said:
With Agent, you go into Preferences - Servers and Accounts - User Identity (V2
Agent), or Options - User And System Profile - User (V1 Agent). The value
"Email Address" is discretionary there - traditionally you would enter your
actual address. Tradition has long been a bad advice. I changed my setting to
(e-mail address removed) long ago.

You should stop using Typhoon for your posting server. Typhoon broadcasts your
ip address in two places. Look at the headers in one of your posts (Message -
Show All Header Fields) (Don't look in your Outbox - look at one of your posts
on the server). Here's what you're broadcasting (OK, I munged your identity
details - YOUR ip address isn't 208.201.999.888):

Chuck,
I use Agent for my email as well. If you change the email address there,
wouldn't that also apply to your email as well as messages posted to the
newsgroups? I will test this to see, but I would not want to send invalid
From address in my emails.

I'm not familar with the Typhoon posting server. What is this and how does
one change from using it and to what. This is a bit of new area for me
here. I did use Supernews for awhile, but was having such a hard time
getting in at times, that I switched back to Sonic's news. Is this the
area you are speaking of? Thanks for any insights.

Charlie
Charliec
Remove XXX to reply via Email

Chuck

Chuck,
I use Agent for my email as well. If you change the email address there,
wouldn't that also apply to your email as well as messages posted to the
newsgroups? I will test this to see, but I would not want to send invalid
From address in my emails.

I'm not familar with the Typhoon posting server. What is this and how does
one change from using it and to what. This is a bit of new area for me
here. I did use Supernews for awhile, but was having such a hard time
getting in at times, that I switched back to Sonic's news. Is this the
area you are speaking of? Thanks for any insights.

Charlie
Charliec
Remove XXX to reply via Email

Charlie,

Yeah you're right - if you use the same program for email and news, munging is a
bad idea. I sent an email one time to Dane, with my address munged - he replied
to my munged address, got a bounce, and got pissed off.

I have multiple Agent databases, including one for Sonic internal newsgroups and
email only. I have my email address munged in every database but that one.

Sonic subscribers get access to the following news servers:
Newscene: newscene.sonic.net
Supersupernews.sonic.net
Typhoon: news.sonic.net ("typhoon.sonic.net" as posted in the headers)

Typhoon is the news server owned by Sonic, and located at Sonic hq in Santa
Rosa. Newscene and Supernews are two contracted services, located way outside
SR. Typhoon is the closest news server for us, and gives the best bandwidth.
But Newscene and Supernews both suppress the NNTP-Posting-Host and X-Trace
headers, both which contain your ip address. I do all of my posting from either
Newscene or Supernews, except email and Sonic-only newsgroups. And I never
cross-post between Sonic-only newsgroups and public newsgroups.

Cheers,
Chuck

Charliec

Chuck said:
[...]

Thanks Chuck.
That explains it. I will review how I want to post news and handle emails.
I have both setup (news.sonic.net and supernews.sonic.net), but had been
using the one for news.sonic.net for both news posting and email.