netstat

Mano Geezer

I loaded up the dos prompt and hit netstat -a before i connected to the
internet. and see

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP tom:epmap mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1025 mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1026 mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1027 mano:0 LISTENING

Can anybody tell me what epmap is and what it is listening for. Thanks :)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

epmap is the EndPoint Mapper for DCOM.

How can I quickly find all the listening or open ports on my computer?
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_find_local_open_ports.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Mano Geezer" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I loaded up the dos prompt and hit netstat -a before i connected to the
| internet. and see
|
| Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
| TCP tom:epmap mano:0 LISTENING
| TCP tom:1025 mano:0 LISTENING
| TCP tom:1026 mano:0 LISTENING
| TCP tom:1027 mano:0 LISTENING
|
| Can anybody tell me what epmap is and what it is listening for. Thanks :)

Michael Bednarek

I loaded up the dos prompt and hit netstat -a before i connected to the
internet. and see

[It's _NOT_ a DOS prompt, it's a command prompt console.]
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP tom:epmap mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1025 mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1026 mano:0 LISTENING
TCP tom:1027 mano:0 LISTENING

Can anybody tell me what epmap is and what it is listening for. Thanks :)

Try "netstat -a -n", which will tell you that epmap is port 135, a
major attack point for NT-based systems. Do you have a network between
your two machines tom and mano?