Windows XP NetMeeting Autoconfiguration Issues!

Reaction score
Dear All,

Here's a situation I wonder if you can help me with:

I have generated an auto-configuration file, using the NetMeeting Resource Kit, and placed it in the server intranet directory, so that it is accessible. I then added the URL to the configuration file (on the intranet [http://vida/nm/nm3conf.inf]) to the domain's master group policy under the NetMeeting section.

When I logon to the network and start NetMeeting for the first time, you can see that the auto-configuration file has taken affect as the Internet Locator Server on my network has been automatically filled in where the directory servers are listed. ‘Great!’ I thought - exactly what I was trying to achieve. However...

When normal network users logon and attempt to start NetMeeting for the first time, the following message comes up: "The NetMeeting Autoconfiguration utility encountered a problem parsing the autoconfiguration file. Using cached NetMeeting Settings."

It would seem that this is simply down to insufficient user privileges and that only accounts that belong to the Domain Admins group are unaffected. Obviously, it would be silly to cut corners and just make everyone a member of the Domain Admins as this would be an extreme security issue!

Have you any ideas as to how I can overcome this problem - perhaps there is an alternative method of deploying the auto-config file, each time a user logs on? Could it be done through my logon scripts? Or am I just making a silly mistake somewhere along the line?

I will be greatly appreciative as to any support you may be able to offer me!

Kindest Regards,

Paul Smith.

Reaction score
Another job done...

Dear All,

I have finally resolved my own problem: I re-wrote the auto-configuration file into the form of a registry file, I then deployed this via logon scripts when the user logs onto the network.

Tried NetMeeting and hey presto - the problem is no more!

The registry file that I'm using is very simple; here it is below, substituting "<<your ILS server address>>" to suit your network:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Conferencing\UI\Directory]
"Name0"="<<your ILS server address>>"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\User Location Service\Client]
"Server Name"="<<your ILS server address>>"

Hope this helps if you've found yourself in the same situation as I was!

Kindest Regards,

Paul Smith.

Ask a Question