Lou

I've been able to find the "net meeting" version which
came with my windows xp. Problem is I can't seem to get
it to establish contact with msn directory to place a
video call. Any suggestions?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Lou,

The Directory hasn't worked since MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger 4.5 when a small security
hole was found (and was fixed, breaking this function).

In order to use Netmeeting with Messenger, you'll need to turn on compatibility mode in
Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger 5 (6 is not supported) where the "Start Netmeeting" option
will be visible.

To do so --

For Windows Messenger 4.x (the built-in Messenger client in XP): Close down messenger
(right-click icon in the notification area/system tray and click Exit), then click Start,
point to All Programs and right-click the Windows Messenger shortcut and click Properties.
Then, click the compatibility tab, and check the box next to 'Run this program in
compatibility mode for' and choose Windows 2000. Click OK, and then go into the start
menu/all programs again, and click the Windows Messenger shortcut you just modified.

For MSN Messenger 5,
Close down MSN Messenger (right-click icon in the notification area/system tray and click
Exit), then click Start, click Run, enter "%programfiles%\msn messenger" and click OK. Then,
right-click "msnmsgr" and click Properties. Then, click the compatibility tab, and check the
box next to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and choose Windows 2000. Click OK,
and then go to Start, All Programs, and MSN Messenger 5.0 to restart it.

Note, that by doing this, you will no longer be able to use the built-in Messenger video
option ('Start Camera') -- simply close Messenger, turn off compatibility mode (the same way
you turned it on) and restart Messenger to get it back.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

D

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
I've been able to find the "net meeting" version which
came with my windows xp. Problem is I can't seem to get
it to establish contact with msn directory to place a
video call. Any suggestions?

The microsoft directory is down so where it says
directory settings, look for a diffrent ils, thse
addresses can be found in yahoo, search, netmeeting, and