NetBIOS/WINS needed?

Franky

Now that I have gotten rid of NT4.0 servers and
workstations and have only Windows 2000, can I turn off
Netbios and Wins? If so, is there any negative
consequences to doing so?

I have DNS setup properly and my plan was to turn off
Netbios and Wins to eliminate the traffic and narrowing
name resolution to DNS only.

Martin

I found that any remote access clients couldnt browse the win2000 network
properly after removing wins, so hey presto reinstall wins and full browsing
is back.

Nestor Cabrera said:
Yes, if you are running a strictly TCP/IP network with FQDN's, then you
can do away with NETBios and definitely do away with WINS. Tred carefully
and make sure you have everything set up correctly though, or you will be
sorry! Here's more info from Microsoft:

Franky

Do applications generally need it? Will file shares still
work without it?
Yes, if you are running a strictly TCP/IP network with
FQDN's, then you can do away with NETBios and definitely
do away with WINS. Tred carefully and make sure you have
everything set up correctly though, or you will be sorry!
Here's more info from Microsoft:

Sergio Moreno

Hello there,

Some old applications that rely on NetBIOS support may have some problems, but shares will still work without it.
Please take a look at the following KB:
INFO: Using TCP/IP Without NetBIOS on Windows 2000 WGID:157
ID: 229663
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229663

--------------------
From: "Franky" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Franky" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: NetBIOS/WINS needed?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:35:12 -0700

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

i'm trying to do the same thing... get rid of netbios/wins. i have 2 network segments and all domain controllers, dns, and file server is on the first network segment. clients and servers are on windows 2000

i can login from the second network segment.
i can access shares by using ip address
i can't use FQDN to access share... gives me no network provider... error