.NET Redistributable Nightmare

Infinite

I create a windows app which works fine on my dev machine. I deploy it
on my test machine using the MSDE Deployment Toolkit and everything
installs fine (expect attaching the db). The newly installed app will
not run, it crashes before it does anything. I can run the same file
on my dev machine just fine. I can access the test machine across the
wire and access the app and it loads fine. I've used the .NET
Configuration tool to set the security to full control for the .exe and
the .dll's.

Anybody have a suggestion as to what I should try next? I've been
fighting this problem for a few days now and need help bad.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Infinite,

1) Any records in the EventLog?
2) Can u run any other managed apps on that machine?
3) Did you try to start debug or release version on you test machine?

I> I create a windows app which works fine on my dev machine. I deploy
I> it on my test machine using the MSDE Deployment Toolkit and
I> everything installs fine (expect attaching the db). The newly
I> installed app will not run, it crashes before it does anything. I
I> can run the same file on my dev machine just fine. I can access the
I> test machine across the wire and access the app and it loads fine.
I> I've used the .NET Configuration tool to set the security to full
I> control for the .exe and the .dll's.
I>
I> Anybody have a suggestion as to what I should try next? I've been
I> fighting this problem for a few days now and need help bad.
I>
I> Thanks in advance.
I>
I> Tim

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Infinite

Hi Micheal,
Thanks for the response. The event log doesn't show anything special.
The app in question is apparently throwing an unhandled exception, but
the entry point has nothing in it. I made another quickie test app to
see if the problem was the app in question or the framework
installation. The quickie app works fine. The version that is
deployed on the test machine is a release version.

~T

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Infinite,

Try to run debug version and attach debugger when it crashes