.NET Framework 1.1 installed, but VS still sees 1.0

Sougato Das

I recently downloaded and installed the .NET Framework 1.1. Previously, I
had 1.0. The installation was successful, but when I go to the About
Microsoft Development Environment menu item in the Help menu of Microsoft
Visual Studio .NET, it lists Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 at the top (as it
did previously) instead of 1.1.

Is this ok? Do I somehow need to point Visual Studio .NET to the correct
version of the Framework? I also noticed that in the Windows/Microsoft
..NET/Framework folder there are two subfolders: one for v1.0.3705 (262MB)
and one for v1.1.4322 (37MB). I suppose the latter folder just contains the
updates?

Thanks,
Sougato

Charles Law

Hi Sougato

I'm guessing you have VS V2002. This version of Visual Studio is tied to the
framework V1.0.

To use V1.1 you need VS V2003.

V2003 can be made to recognise both versions of the framework, but not the
other way round.

HTH

Charles

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "Sougato Das said:
I recently downloaded and installed the .NET Framework 1.1. Previously, I
had 1.0. The installation was successful, but when I go to the About
Microsoft Development Environment menu item in the Help menu of Microsoft
Visual Studio .NET, it lists Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 at the top (as it
did previously) instead of 1.1.

VS.NET 2002 will /only/ work with .NET 1.0, there is no way to make it
use .NET 1.1. You will have to make an upgrade to VS.NET 2003 in order
to use the "new" version of the .NET Framework. Notice that VS.NET 2002
depends on .NET 1.0, so don't uninstall it.

Tom Shelton

Hi Sougato

I'm guessing you have VS V2002. This version of Visual Studio is tied to the
framework V1.0.

To use V1.1 you need VS V2003.

V2003 can be made to recognise both versions of the framework, but not the
other way round.

HTH

Charles

Actually Charles, VS.NET 2003 only recognizes and compiles agains the
1.1 framework... When you set it to use the 1.0 framework or both - all
it is doing is puting and entry in the app.config file. It still uses
the 1.1 framework to compile it.

--
Tom Shelton [MVP]