Nested IF statement

G

I am trying to create a nested IF statement that will look at the data in columns from 2 adjacent cells and depending on the contents of those cells, the formula needs to do 2 different things

Here's the layout
G3: Item Cos
H3: Cost
I3: Cost

In column J, I need it to first look at H3. If H3=0 then take G3 and multiply by 1.43. If H3 is not zero, then take H3 and multiply by 1.227.

I have that part done, as this formula
=IF(H3=0,G3*1.43,H3*1.227

That works fine, but now I need to have a 2nd IF statement where it will look at Column I and apply the same formula
=IF(I3=0,G3*1.43,I3*1.227

I followed the rules specified in the help file and in a few documents I found online but I can not get it to work properly. I came close using the Formula builder, but that went and added a Plus sign between the 2 formulas so it looked like this
=IF(H3=0,G3*1.43,H3*1.227)+IF(I3=0,G3*1.43,I3*1.227

That formula did not give me an error, but the data it returend is twice what it should be since it is, in effect taking the same number and doubling it

Anyone have any ideas

Gary

J

JE McGimpsey

You haven't given enough information. What if *both* H3 and I3 are
non-zero?

If only one of them will be non-zero, one way would be:

=IF(H3<>0,H3*1.227,IF(I3<>0,I3*1.227,G3*1.43))

Ask a Question