Neophyte question about Raid 1

Cactus Jack

I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE
reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting
the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image of my
boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost file on two
different external USB drives (in case one of the USB drives fails, as
one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting one of the two-
drive external enclosures that can be configured as RAID 1 (such as
the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me the same peace of
mind as having backups on two separate drives? I know that if one of
the two drives fails, the remaining one remains functional, and I can
replace the failed drive and it will be rebuilt. What if the
enclosure's electronics fail? Can I remove a drive and put it into a
different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Jack

Rod Speed

Cactus Jack said:
I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because
I HATE reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then
getting the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost
image of my boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost
file on two different external USB drives (in case one of the USB
drives fails, as one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting
one of the two- drive external enclosures that can be configured as
RAID 1 (such as the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me
the same peace of mind as having backups on two separate drives?

Nope, most obviously when the power supply dies and kills both
drives, the box gets stolen along with the system its backing up,
the house burns down, or disappears under the water etc etc etc.
I know that if one of the two drives fails, the remaining one
remains functional, and I can replace the failed drive and
it will be rebuilt. What if the enclosure's electronics fail?

That can kill both drives.
Can I remove a drive and put it into a different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

Usually.

Stretch

Rod Speed wrote in news:[email protected]
Nope, most obviously when the power supply dies and kills both drives,

Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".
the house burns down, or disappears under the water etc etc etc.

Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".
That can kill both drives.

Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

Rather depends on the enclosure's RAID implementation.

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit pseudokraut desperatey cowering behind
Stretch said:
Rod Speed wrote
Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

Corse it doesnt with two separate USB external drives, ****wit.
Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

Corse it doesnt when you have enough sense to keep one
of the USB external drives separate from the rest, ****wit.

of the USB external drives separate out of the house, ****wit.

Thats why I said usually and not always, ****wit.

[...]

So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL
ELSE BEING EQUAL, would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as
"comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?

Jack

Rod Speed

So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL,

But it cant be equal, most obviously because its much harder to move one
of the drives offsite for the best protection against theft, fire and flood.

Thats completely trivial with a pair of USB external drives used as the
destination for the backups, and not as easy with any RAID1 config.

Even with the RAID1 drives in removable bays in the box the RAID1 is
done in isnt as convenient as just safely removing an external USB drive,
and there is a small possibility of the power supply failure killing both drives
and some software ****up propagating bad data to both drives at once etc.
would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as "comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?

Corse not.

Jesco Lincke

Cactus said:
So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL
ELSE BEING EQUAL, would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as
"comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?

Jack

That depends on what you want to protect your data against. If you're
only concerned about hardware failure, either option will work. The raid
might be a bit more comfortable since you only copy your files once...

If you want offsite storage (as mentioned above, in case something bad
happens to the place you live in) you could backup to two USB discs,
store one of them offsite and then do daily backups to the local disc,
exchanging the two discs every other day or week, depending on how up to
date you need your backup files to be.

Jesco