Need your advice on TV tuner cards

Lady Chatterly

I've also heard good things about the Hauppauge, and the Pinnacle.

Can anyone recommend some good bug spray ? Preferrably something that
doesn't disturb the ecosystem, but gets rid of the incredibly pesky
bugs... ESP the kind that get under your skin. TANTE !

--
Lady Chatterly

"Yo. Say hi to Lady Scatterly, everybody. Buy her a drink, then push
her out the door. She's one of Society & Thomas's socks. After
people made jokes about Tom's drinking problem, LS popped up to give
us a bigger village idiot. She's fun to poke and prod from time to
time. They don't need her for anything important........" -- Turin

J. Clarke

Lady said:
Can anyone recommend some good bug spray ? Preferrably something that
doesn't disturb the ecosystem, but gets rid of the incredibly pesky
bugs... ESP the kind that get under your skin. TANTE !

I used to know a guy who drank Permethrin before he went out, so that any
mosquito that bit him died horribly. Don't know how well that worked, but
he swore by it. He being the kind of guy who would drink Permethrin and
all, it was kind of hard to tell if it had done him any damage.

FLY135

Lady Chatterly said:
Can anyone recommend some good bug spray ? Preferrably something that
doesn't disturb the ecosystem, but gets rid of the incredibly pesky
bugs... ESP the kind that get under your skin. TANTE !

Try Mugwump Jism. Bug Powder Dust will impair your driving.

Noozer

Mikey said:
Hi;
Very Good: MSI TVanywhere.

YUCK YUCK YUCK!

I've got an MSI TV Anywhere Master. The hardware is great... the software
SUCKS.
- It takes more that 60 seconds for the FM radio software to even start, and
then it breaks if you try to adjust the settings. It also ignores the audio
input selection, so if you aren't using LINE IN for the card, you're stuck.
- The TV software is a few generations out of date and has errors and issues
in itself.
- MSI support offers ZERO support for the card.

T Shadow

Knowledge Seeker said:
Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand? And which model?
I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the
inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the
chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may
be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edi
tion--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a close
second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on
monitor or on my actual TV).
May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not
planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I do not need HD capability.
Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder
card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).
So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews of
the >latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.

You don't need an HDTV to watch HDTV. Just watch it on your monitor with the
HDTV Wonder. It will also do the other things you list.

If you insist on staying analog this may be of interest.
http://www.ati.com/products/theater550/index.html

Lady Chatterly

inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the
chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edi
tion--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on
monitor or on my actual TV).
planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).
the >latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.

You don't need an HDTV to watch HDTV. Just watch it on your monitor with the
HDTV Wonder. It will also do the other things you list.

Hon. Am I not speaking *sllloooowwwwllly* enough for you?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Neither he nor I even have the time to read all the attention you
give us now. Only Lady Chatterly can keep up with the constant flow
of Yingarrhea." -- Daedalus

T Shadow

Lady Chatterly said:
Hon. Am I not speaking *sllloooowwwwllly* enough for you?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Neither he nor I even have the time to read all the attention you
give us now. Only Lady Chatterly can keep up with the constant flow
of Yingarrhea." -- Daedalus
Try coherent.

Mikey

Hi Noozer,

MSI latest drivers dated 21st sept.2004...and I have not been to the site since
then!
Everything's rosy here.

Helper Monkey Assault Squad 7

I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250.

After much reading (and owning an AIW 9800 Pro), I'd agree.
Go with the Hauppauge PVR 250. Particularly if you want to play with
XP MCE or Beyond Tv.

Andrew

After having twice bought Allinwonder's,the first PCI card was twice
replaced (after weeks of E-Mails and phone calls to ATI) before I got a
refund. The second one (AGP) failed after three weeks and I asked for a
refund rather than a replacement. I bought a Compro Videomate TV Gold PlusII
last month and am very pleased with it. An initial problem was quickly
sorted
out by E-Mail and the latest driver.
http://www.comprousa.com/index.htm
Andrew

Chris Phillipo

Subject: Re: Need your advice on TV tuner cards
From: "Lee" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk, rec.video.desktop, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

JLC, you didn't tell him about the dark scenes!

I am happy with my WinTV 150, this has the same encoding hardware as
the 250 and 350 I believe, only it was a fraction of the cost.
Although it causes me no problems (except having to very occasionally
restart the PC to stop the choppy picture), I am looking around for a
card with improved encoding capabilities. When the light level drops
you lose a lot of detail and depth of colour, large parts of the
picture become solid when there should be detail, enough to ruin a
scene, for me anyway.

I was wondering if anyone had compared nVidia's NVTV cards to the WinTV
range, if so, is there any improvement?

If you are talking about a PVR-150 I think you should take a look at
what your TV is pluged into because that's what is producing the crappy
picture.

Chris Phillipo

From: "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk, rec.video.desktop, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc

You didn't quote my post but if you are refering to my DVD reference I
simply meant that if I recorded from the DVD player I could pause and A/B
compare the dark parts of the scene. No big deal because it probably won't
record Macrovision anyway.

Another interesting quirk with this card is confirmed by technical support.
You can't modify the bitrate and resolution settings except by creating a
*new* profile. After the profile is created you can't modify it. And there
is no support for deleting a profile. You can probably do it in the
registry but this is a silly user interface error. There response was that
they don't support the advanced menu. I have no idea why setting the
bitrate of the recorded MPEG should be an unsupported *advanced* feature.

Still for recording TV shows this card is much better than my Pinnacle PCTV.

The short answer is that the Hauppauge software is only good for keeping
drink rings off your coffee table. It's best to buy the card bundled
with something useful.

David Chien

ATI or Hauppauge cheap. www.ebay.com has some for <$30.

You may pick one or the other for compatibility with other free PVR
software, eg. MythTv

see
http://www.shspvr.com/
http://www.mythtv.org/

---

But either one will come with all the software you need for basic time
shifting and recording/playback from your HD.

---

Also, if you have $$, you can look at the latest ATI HDTV tuner card or
the 3rd party HDTV tuner cards on sale at www.ebay.com. Works off
regular antenna broadcasts, and they'll give you even higher quality TV
show recordings.

Barry Watzman

Unless you want an All-in-Wonder card, I'd go with Hauppauge, the video
quality is beter than ATI.