Need to start new form entry with default image but also be able to modify...

Reaction score
I work at a cancer research lab. The current method of recording autopsy data on our lab mice is all on paper, and my job is to replace this system with a database that can be used on a tablet PC while the autopsy is taking place.

Everything is elementary data fields except for (I'd assume) a rather unique problem - we need to be able to draw on a mouse diagram to mark the location of tumors. This means each new data entry in the form needs to load a default image of a mouse. Then, as the necropsy is taking place, we need to be able to double click and draw on the image which OLE is actually pretty nice for.

I have some concerns...is it possible to write a macro that will automatically insert the default mouse diagram for a new form entry? Using setValue didn't seem to work with object-based data fields. I am also concerned of the size and speed of the database once ~2,000 mouse autopsies are stored. I would gladly use DBPix instead of OLE, but OLE is much simpler in cracking the image open with paint to scribble on the diagram where the tumors are.

Any suggestions? Should I even use Access for this? Your input will help cure cancer!

Ask a Question