Need to go to Native Mode, Possible Trouble?

Philip

So I just upgraded our NT4.0 PDC to 2000 with Active
Directory. I now have the main 2000 DC running with 2
2000 backup DCs and 2 NT BDCs. I want to switch to Native
Mode so I can install Exchange 2000 properly into the 5.5.
site. My question is this: Will switching to Native Mode
effect the remaining NT 4.0 servers? I don't care if they
are no longer BDCs, I just need to know that all my 2000
users will still be able to access the data on them
through Network Neighborhood. So will switching to Native
Mode cause these servers to become in accessible. I
wouldn't think so, but I've not had to deal with this
situation before and wanted to make sure before I went
ahead.

Simon Geary

So long as you have no NT 4.0 BDC's on your network you can make the switch.
Windows 2000 servers wont be affected. (Except in a good way!)

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Philip,

You cannot go into native mode (all 2000 DC's) until you no longer have any
NT4 BDC's. If you were to switch to 2000 Native Mode, the NT4 BDC's will no
longer be operating as DC's in your environment (stop replicating SAM, LSA,
Security, etc). So do not change to native mode until you have only 2000
DC's

Hope that helps.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services
From: "Philip" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip" <[email protected]>
Subject: Need to go to Native Mode, Possible Trouble?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:46:04 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

So I just upgraded our NT4.0 PDC to 2000 with Active
Directory. I now have the main 2000 DC running with 2
2000 backup DCs and 2 NT BDCs. I want to switch to Native
Mode so I can install Exchange 2000 properly into the 5.5.
site. My question is this: Will switching to Native Mode
effect the remaining NT 4.0 servers? I don't care if they
are no longer BDCs, I just need to know that all my 2000
users will still be able to access the data on them
through Network Neighborhood. So will switching to Native
Mode cause these servers to become in accessible. I
wouldn't think so, but I've not had to deal with this
situation before and wanted to make sure before I went
ahead.

originated.

Simon Geary

You cannot demote an NT 4.0 domain controller (PDC or BDC) to a member
server. You have to either upgrade your BDC's to windows 2000 DC's or simply
remove them from the network.

Philip said:
That's cool. I have three Win2K DCs as of now and don't
care of the BC's go away. What is the best way to demote
the NT BDCs to member servers?