Need replacement disk-Very frustrated with MS!!!

Our church was given a very nice Gateway laptop with a Windows XP Home coa
sticker on it. The donor had formatted the hdd in order to delete personal
information. However, the donor has lost the original installation disks.
Now here is where I start to get upset. I called Gateway and asked if I
could obtain replacement software for this laptop. They said that the
software is no longer available and the only suggestion was to buy a new XP
operating system for over $100. They also suggested that I contact Microsoft.

So, I go to Microsoft support and find that I cannot get free support
without the PID (Product ID #). Of course, I cannot obtain the PID because
the HDD has been erased. When I tried to email, chat or talk with anyone
about this at Microsoft, they wanted to charge me at least $35 since I cannot
come up with the PID. What a rip-off! That $35 would help me buy a new OS,
if I'm forced to do that!

This whole thing is very upsetting. A computer is useless without an OS.
The purchaser of the computer pays for the OS along with the purchase of the
computer itself. Why cannot a new cd with the OS on it be purchased from MS
for a reasonable fee to replace lost software for a legitimately obtained
computer? And it really upsets me that I cannot even communicate with
someone from Microsoft about an issue like this without having to pay a stiff
fee. At least Gateway allowed me to talk to them without a charge. If
anyone has any suggestions to help this frustrated pastor, I would really
appreciate it. Also, I am open to posting this in another location if that
would be helpful.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Why are you frustrated with Microsoft?
You laptop was sold with OEM Windows XP Home.
Basically OEM means you should treat Windows XP as if it is manufactured,
distributed and sold by the seller and not Microsoft.
Microsoft sold Windows cheaper to the OEM with the agreement that Microsoft
will provide NO support to include no replacement CDs.
All support including replacement CDs comes from the seller if anyone.
Even if you had the PID and called Microsoft, the laptop is not eligible for
support with the OEM Windows XP since the PID would flag as OEM.
Do not waste your $35 on a support call, nothing would be accomplished and
you probably would not be charged.

Perhaps you should be frustrated at Gateway.
They refused to sell you the OS.

But wait, We are forgetting the person who donated the laptop.
Have you asked the original owner to contact Gateway?
If the laptop is in warranty, they may be able to get a replacement CD, if
available, for about $25.
If it is out of warranty or no CDs are available, blame whoever lost the
original CD.

Or perhaps you could buy Windows XP and have a laptop for about $100, that
seems like a good price assuming it functions properly.

Thank you, Jupiter, for your reply. I am upset with Gateway also. But what
really got me was not being able to communicate with Microsoft without having
to pay for it. If Gateway could provide someone for me to talk to without
charge, certainly Microsoft could. I would think if someone had a coa key
they should at least be able to establish a brief chat with a Microsoft rep
to see if the customer has a valid issue. This is the primary issue, but I
still think that a lost OS should be able to be replaced from either the
manufacturer or MS at a reasonable replacement cost. I understand that Dell
will do this for its customers. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Gateway
is losing market share.

Vanguard

mtnpastor said:
[...]

The problem isn't with Gateway or Microsoft. The problem is with the person
that donated you the computer. They never supplied an operating system.
All you got from them was the hardware. What the user paid for the computer
and what they got is irrelevant to what they gave you. I can buy a car,
sell it to someone else, but on delivery the engine is missing, so I never
delivered what I said that I delivered. There is no requirement that a
seller or donor provide you will everything they got when they bought,
upgrade, and maintained a computer. You get what they give you. If they
sold it to you fraudulently then you have legal recourse if the cost is
worth the effort. Since this was donated goods, thank the donor for the
hardware and hope another patron donates you the a legal copy of the
operating system.

You got hardware. You didn't get the software. Push your parisher to find
the software. If they don't have it, you now have a handy doorstop (unless
you choose to go with an open-source and free operating system instead of
Windows and use near-equivalent applications, like Open Office, that are
free).

Don't be too hard on the parishioner that donated you the hardware only.
I've seen IT departments that have screwed up. My aunt works at Medtronics
and their IT department was selling off old desktops and claiming they came
with Windows. What they did was simply not wipe the hard drives but no
legal licenses of the operating system accompanied the hardware. Once I
showed them why their sales was illegal, they took it back immediately,
refunded my aunt, and also contacted the other buyers. None of their
licenses for Windows had gone with the hardware they sold off; i.e.,
Medtronics still had the software and was still using them on other
desktops. Selling a computer with a "dirty" drive is NOT necessarily
including the licenses for that software.

This donor may simply be claiming that they can't find the CDs for the
operating system because what they really did was transfer that license,
whether legally or not, from their old computer to their new computer, and
they don't want to give it up. So all they gave you was a computer with a
dirty hard drive. Gateway and Microsoft were not parties to the donation.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

It is OEM so you are not a Microsoft customer.
Microsoft customers have opportunities for free support.

Gateway will provide the CDs for a limited time.
If you check you will find Dell probably has similar policies.

Unfortunately if the donor does not find the CD, you will need to buy it.
$100 is probably a good price.

GHalleck

mtnpastor said:
Thank you, Jupiter, for your reply. I am upset with Gateway also. But what
really got me was not being able to communicate with Microsoft without having
to pay for it. If Gateway could provide someone for me to talk to without
charge, certainly Microsoft could. I would think if someone had a coa key
they should at least be able to establish a brief chat with a Microsoft rep
to see if the customer has a valid issue. This is the primary issue, but I
still think that a lost OS should be able to be replaced from either the
manufacturer or MS at a reasonable replacement cost. I understand that Dell
will do this for its customers. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Gateway
is losing market share.

There used to be Gateway stores but the brand is now sold through
outlets such as Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Staples, Office
Depot, etc. Perhaps a direct visit to one of these might generate
sympathy for your plight and maybe even a Gateway OEM Windows XP
cdrom disc. There is a lot more flexibility in this approach since
most telephone support, these days, are not local.

Good Luck!

Galen

In mtnpastor had this to say:
But what really got me was not being able to communicate with
Microsoft without having to pay for it.

I snipped out the rest as I only intend to address that part. It's a
business reality, really. The cost for Microsoft to take a call from you as
a non-sale call is not viable any longer. We, as people, demand wages beyond
our worth perhaps? I don't want to get into all of that. I think it's been
explained to you at this point but I wanted to make this bit clear. I too
see and agree with your view that it is frustrating because the general
perception is that you should be able to call. In reality if you had, and
this is a loose example, a car from a company then you'd call the dealership
and the car company wouldn't have much of a clue who you are. I don't know
but I doubt they'd happily help you a great deal - if at all - without a
cost. Microsoft has, in this instance, made these newsgroups available which
is your chance for free support without need for calling. The OEM, they had
killer support at one time, was (and is) the only point of contact that
should have been needed. As frustrating as it is that's how it works these
days I'm afraid...

As a church? I'd reach out to the congregation or to the local businesses
and see if they've an OS license and CD to spare. I recommend this often
actually, far more often then most might think I would, but prayers and
needs seem to go answered according to the return emails. I don't know who
the local folks are in your area that would be kind enough to donate a spare
OS but I bet with a wee bit of effort and word of mouth (call it divine
intervention if you wish) you'll find someone can and will... I've even seen
schools get whole license sets handed over from local data centers who had
moved off the OS. You'd be amazed (or maybe not) with the generosity of some
geeks. <g>

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind, which
is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply there to
observe and to draw inferences from our observations." - Sherlock Holmes

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Another option, Ebay:
http://computers.search.ebay.com/ga...rgnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown

Possibly this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GATEWAY-3-CDs-O...QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem--Jupiter Jones [MVP]http://www3.telus.net/dandemarhttp://www.dts-l.org"mtnpastor" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Thank you, Jupiter, for your reply. I am upset with Gateway also. Butwhat> really got me was not being able to communicate with Microsoft withouthaving> to pay for it. If Gateway could provide someone for me to talk to without> charge, certainly Microsoft could. I would think if someone had a coa key> they should at least be able to establish a brief chat with a Microsoftrep> to see if the customer has a valid issue. This is the primary issue, butI> still think that a lost OS should be able to be replaced from either the> manufacturer or MS at a reasonable replacement cost. I understand thatDell> will do this for its customers. Maybe this is one of the reasons whyGateway> is losing market share.>> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:>>> Why are you frustrated with Microsoft?>> You laptop was sold with OEM Windows XP Home.>> Basically OEM means you should treat Windows XP as if it is manufactured,>> distributed and sold by the seller and not Microsoft.>> Microsoft sold Windows cheaper to the OEM with the agreement thatMicrosoft>> will provide NO support to include no replacement CDs.>> All support including replacement CDs comes from the seller if anyone.>> Even if you had the PID and called Microsoft, the laptop is not eligiblefor>> support with the OEM Windows XP since the PID would flag as OEM.>> Do not waste your $35 on a support call, nothing would be accomplishedand>> you probably would not be charged.>>>> Perhaps you should be frustrated at Gateway.>> They refused to sell you the OS.>>>> But wait, We are forgetting the person who donated the laptop.>> Have you asked the original owner to contact Gateway?>> If the laptop is in warranty, they may be able to get a replacement CD,if>> available, for about $25.>> If it is out of warranty or no CDs are available, blame whoever lost the>> original CD.>>>> Or perhaps you could buy Windows XP and have a laptop for about $100,that>> seems like a good price assuming it functions properly.>>>> -->> Jupiter Jones [MVP]>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar>> http://www.dts-l.org>>>>>> "mtnpastor" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> > Our church was given a very nice Gateway laptop with a Windows XP Homecoa>> > sticker on it. The donor had formatted the hdd in order to delete>> > personal>> > information. However, the donor has lost the original installationdisks.>> > Now here is where I start to get upset. I called Gateway and asked ifI>> > could obtain replacement software for this laptop. They said that the>> > software is no longer available and the only suggestion was to buy anew>> > XP>> > operating system for over $100. They also suggested that I contact>> > Microsoft.>> >>> > So, I go to Microsoft support and find that I cannot get free support>> > without the PID (Product ID #). Of course, I cannot obtain the PID>> > because>> > the HDD has been erased. When I tried to email, chat or talk withanyone>> > about this at Microsoft, they wanted to charge me at least $35 since I>> > cannot>> > come up with the PID. What a rip-off! That $35 would help me buy anew>> > OS,>> > if I'm forced to do that!>> >>> > This whole thing is very upsetting. A computer is useless without anOS.>> > The purchaser of the computer pays for the OS along with the purchaseof>> > the>> > computer itself. Why cannot a new cd with the OS on it be purchasedfrom>> > MS>> > for a reasonable fee to replace lost software for a legitimatelyobtained>> > computer? And it really upsets me that I cannot even communicate with>> > someone from Microsoft about an issue like this without having to pay a>> > stiff>> > fee. At least Gateway allowed me to talk to them without a charge. If>> > anyone has any suggestions to help this frustrated pastor, I wouldreally>> > appreciate it. Also, I am open to posting this in another location if>> > that>> > would be helpful.>>>>>>

Leythos

[...]

So, the laptop that was purchase by the seller didn't come with Windows
XP (based on what you've said here) and then wiped the computer before
selling it to you, rendering the laptop useless until you purchase a OS
for it.

Second, you don't have or own an OS for the computer and called MS
Support to get support for an OS that you don't own or have.

Now, what you need to do is understand that you have several options,
all of which have nothing to do with Support - you can call MS Sales and
talk to them for free. You could call your regional MS office and talk
with them for free, and they might even donate a copy of XP to you.

How come you are not going after the donor of the laptop?

If you can't afford Windows XP, then why not consider a FREE OS like
Linux?

MS didn't provide the OS, it didn't provide anything - the OEM that
provided the laptop is responsible to provide a restore/OS disk - as
you've said the OS is no longer supported by the OEM, so you have no
issues with MS, and you only have the laptop seller to fault.

Mike Hyndman

Not only has formatting removed the Windows OS it will also have removed
all the drivers from the laptop as well. The original OEM disc would have
been a "recovery" disc which contained the Windows OS and the drivers
peculiar to that laptop. Have had similar problems with donated Dell laptops
but it is possible to download drivers for older machines from their
website. It could be possible your Gateway is a rebadged machine made by
another manufacturer. Try putting the make and model number into Google and
see what comes up.

HTH
Mike H

Hello mtnpastor,

As an alternative to Windows XP, you could also install a distribution of
Linux. It would be entirely *free* and most distributions are very user
friendly.

If you would like to persue this option further, just let me know and I can
give you some more info on how to do this.

Good luck,

Francis