Excel Need help with this Excel Formula

Reaction score
=if(d3="",0,(vlookup("*"&d3&"*",tile_valuess,2,false),(vlookup("*"&d3,tile_valuess,2,false)))

How do i make it so that, if there's nothing in cell d3. 0 will appear, and if there is, then the Vlookup checks both of those and displays one answer?

Reaction score
I think your syntax is the problem. You will either need to nest the vlookup statements or pick one. The simple syntax for IF is if(this condition exists, then do this, or do that). In your example you have if(this condition exists, then do this, or do these). The formula will return only one answer, and unless it is nested will only perform one function to arrive at the answer.

That said, lets break up your problem into smaller parts to see where we can go. First, what is your notation "*"&d3"*" referencing? The simple syntax for vlookup is vlookup(this value, in this range, return this column equivalent, my list is sorted).

Is tile_valuess a named range in the workbook, and is the value you seek in the second column of the range.

Also, if you read my posts I generally ask for more information about the problem you are trying to solve. If you can provide some case background or more definition of your data model I can see what we can do to get you going. My interest is in posting solutions for the benefit of the group.

Stoneboysteve

Ask a Question