Need help with Scavenging.

Hi

Can some one explain exactly the meaning of the entries in this event log.
These numbers changes every 7 days.

Dns Server has completed a scavenging cycle:

Visited Nodes = 780,

Scavenged Nodes = 49,

Scavenged Records = 60.

The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually scavenge
only one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.

Thanks
IK

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi

Thank you for posting here.

For your concern, please refer to the following information.

Visited Nodes = 780,
A DNS node is equivalent to a DNS name. This is the number of DNS names
that were examined during the scavenging pass.

Scavenged Nodes = 49,
This is the number DNS names that had records deleted during the scavenging
pass.

Scavenged Records = 60.
This is the number of DNS records deleted during the scavenging pass. This
number is higher than "scavenged nodes" because multiple records were
deleted at some names.

The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
scavengeonly one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.

No. A scavenging pass examines all zones. However, you could dnscmd to
juggle your servers so that one server was only scavenging this zone and
then run "dnscmd /StartScavenging" against this server. Running scavenging
"multiple times per day" seems excessive.

C:\>dnscmd /ZoneResetScavengeServers
Usage: DnsCmd <ServerName> /ZoneResetScavengeServers <ZoneName> [<Server
IPs>]
<Server IPs> -- list of one or more IP addresses of servers to scavenge
this zone; if no addresses given ALL servers hosting this zone
will be allowed to scavenge the zone.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Need help with Scavenging.
| Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:13:47 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| Hi
|
| Can some one explain exactly the meaning of the entries in this event log.
| These numbers changes every 7 days.
|
| Dns Server has completed a scavenging cycle:
|
| Visited Nodes = 780,
|
| Scavenged Nodes = 49,
|
| Scavenged Records = 60.
|

| The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
scavenge
| only one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.
|

| Thanks
| IK

Thanks for the info. Great help.

IK
Jack Wang said:
Hi

Thank you for posting here.

For your concern, please refer to the following information.

Visited Nodes = 780,
A DNS node is equivalent to a DNS name. This is the number of DNS names
that were examined during the scavenging pass.

Scavenged Nodes = 49,
This is the number DNS names that had records deleted during the scavenging
pass.

Scavenged Records = 60.
This is the number of DNS records deleted during the scavenging pass. This
number is higher than "scavenged nodes" because multiple records were
deleted at some names.

The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
scavengeonly one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.

No. A scavenging pass examines all zones. However, you could dnscmd to
juggle your servers so that one server was only scavenging this zone and
then run "dnscmd /StartScavenging" against this server. Running scavenging
"multiple times per day" seems excessive.

C:\>dnscmd /ZoneResetScavengeServers
Usage: DnsCmd <ServerName> /ZoneResetScavengeServers <ZoneName> [<Server
IPs>]
<Server IPs> -- list of one or more IP addresses of servers to scavenge
this zone; if no addresses given ALL servers hosting this zone
will be allowed to scavenge the zone.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Need help with Scavenging.
| Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:13:47 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| Hi
|
| Can some one explain exactly the meaning of the entries in this event log.
| These numbers changes every 7 days.
|
| Dns Server has completed a scavenging cycle:
|
| Visited Nodes = 780,
|
| Scavenged Nodes = 49,
|
| Scavenged Records = 60.
|

| The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
scavenge
| only one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.
|

| Thanks
| IK

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Our pleasure to work with you here.
We look forward to working with you here again!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Need help with Scavenging.
| Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:35:44 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| Thanks for the info. Great help.
|
| IK
| | > Hi
| >
| > Thank you for posting here.
| >
| > For your concern, please refer to the following information.
| >
| > Visited Nodes = 780,
| > A DNS node is equivalent to a DNS name. This is the number of DNS names
| > that were examined during the scavenging pass.
| >
| > Scavenged Nodes = 49,
| > This is the number DNS names that had records deleted during the
| scavenging
| > pass.
| >
| > Scavenged Records = 60.
| > This is the number of DNS records deleted during the scavenging pass.
This
| > number is higher than "scavenged nodes" because multiple records were
| > deleted at some names.
| >
| > The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
| > scavengeonly one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.
| >
| > No. A scavenging pass examines all zones. However, you could dnscmd to
| > juggle your servers so that one server was only scavenging this zone and
| > then run "dnscmd /StartScavenging" against this server. Running
scavenging
| > "multiple times per day" seems excessive.
| >
| > C:\>dnscmd /ZoneResetScavengeServers
| > Usage: DnsCmd <ServerName> /ZoneResetScavengeServers <ZoneName> [<Server
| > IPs>]
| > <Server IPs> -- list of one or more IP addresses of servers to
| scavenge
| > this zone; if no addresses given ALL servers hosting this
zone
| > will be allowed to scavenge the zone.
| >
| > Hope this helps!
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
| > Microsoft Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| > from your issue.
| > =====================================================

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Need help with Scavenging.
| > | Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:13:47 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns

cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA0
| > 5.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi
| > |
| > | Can some one explain exactly the meaning of the entries in this event
| log.
| > | These numbers changes every 7 days.
| > |
| > | Dns Server has completed a scavenging cycle:
| > |
| > | Visited Nodes = 780,
| > |
| > | Scavenged Nodes = 49,
| > |
| > | Scavenged Records = 60.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | The other question I have is to know if it is possible to manually
| > scavenge
| > | only one zone - I want to run it multiple times a day.
| > |
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | IK