Need help in XP Printing with DOS program

M. B.

I am currently running Windows XP SP1. There is an old DOS-based program
that I still use for certain accounting activities. The problem is that my
printer on this machine (local) is now connected to an ETHERNET router.
The DOS-based program is still trying to print to LPT1.

Is there any way I can get a print-out with my setup? I need to somehow
redirect the LPT1 output so it goes to my IP 192.168.0.11 (thats where the
printer resides).

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim Macklin

prn>192.168.0.11 Don't know if that will work, but you
can use the prn> command to redirect the file to any other
file, why not save it to a file like prn> acc-dos.cxs
acct.doc and then you can open it as a word document to
print.

You may want to use some other file extensions such as Excel
or whatever programs you have.

Or since you seem to be stuck in the old DOS world, visit a
used computer store and buy a dot matrix printer and install
it locally.

| I am currently running Windows XP SP1. There is an old
DOS-based program
| that I still use for certain accounting activities. The
problem is that my
| printer on this machine (local) is now connected to an
ETHERNET router.
| The DOS-based program is still trying to print to LPT1.
|
| Is there any way I can get a print-out with my setup? I
need to somehow
| redirect the LPT1 output so it goes to my IP 192.168.0.11
(thats where the
| printer resides).
|
| Any help would be appreciated!

M. B.

The problem is, is this file cannot be saved to any other format (not even
CSV), and will print ONLY from within the program itself. So I am
stuck.... unless of course I add a printer to a LPT1 port.

M. B.

I even tried using a program like Snag-It to "capture" a screen or two, but
it wont work... just grabs a "black" blank windows.

Jim Macklin

Can you set the DOS program page display and copy it to
another program?

Since you can buy a printer to connect directly that might
be your choice. But XP does not allow direct hardware
control the way a DOS program might.

What is a valid reason to stick with a very old DOS program?

| The problem is, is this file cannot be saved to any other
format (not even
| CSV), and will print ONLY from within the program itself.
So I am
| stuck.... unless of course I add a printer to a LPT1 port.

in message
| | > prn>192.168.0.11 Don't know if that will work, but
you
| > can use the prn> command to redirect the file to any
other
| > file, why not save it to a file like prn> acc-dos.cxs
| > acct.doc and then you can open it as a word document to
| > print.
| >
| > You may want to use some other file extensions such as
Excel
| > or whatever programs you have.
| >
| > Or since you seem to be stuck in the old DOS world,
visit a
| > used computer store and buy a dot matrix printer and
install
| > it locally.

message
| > DOS-based program
| > | that I still use for certain accounting activities.
The
| > problem is that my
| > | printer on this machine (local) is now connected to an
| > ETHERNET router.
| > | The DOS-based program is still trying to print to
LPT1.
| > |
| > | Is there any way I can get a print-out with my setup?
| > need to somehow
| > | redirect the LPT1 output so it goes to my IP
192.168.0.11
| > (thats where the
| > | printer resides).
| > |
| > | Any help would be appreciated!
| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Have you tried to open the files from a more modern
spreadsheet program?

wrote in message
| > > can use the prn> command to redirect the file to any
other
| > > file, why not save it to a file like prn> acc-dos.cxs
| > > acct.doc and then you can open it as a word document
| > > print.
| > >
| > > You may want to use some other file extensions such as
Excel
| > > or whatever programs you have.
| > >
| > > Or since you seem to be stuck in the old DOS world,
visit a
| > > used computer store and buy a dot matrix printer and
install
| > > it locally.

message
| > > DOS-based program